Aberrant RPG - Mega-Mental & Mega-Social Feats

Sprocket

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Idea: Baselines need to make a willpower roll to be in the same room?
I like that one! ::devil IIRC, we've got 1 or 2 of the low dot rating slots empty at the moment. Will get back to you after checking the document.
Cause baselines to faint for a few minutes.

Strong idea. Presumably as the result of an intimidation roll. Are we talking +5 succ over their willpower? +10?

Assuming that the typical baseline's WP is 3, The typical mook's is 4 & the typical baseline cop's is in the 5-7 range... +5 successes above the target's WP looks to be the better of the two options you present.

OTOH, requiring +5 successes to cause fainting might be a bit much compared to the other ideas in this batch. Fainting is a much less serious/more transitory form of mental shutdown than becoming comatose/catatonic.

Induce comatose or catatonic state in baselines for a variable amount of time - anywhere from hours to days, depending on the M-Ugly rating.

Sounds like another +5 succ... which is a good thing, it's pretty easy for succ to add up.

On this, the +5 successes is entirely plausible.
Panic baselines into doing appropriately pointless activities (hysterical screaming, attempts to run away, collapse into a sobbing wreck etc.) for a few minutes.

Probably just tag this as one level less than "faint".

Agreed, this is just temporary mental dysfunction instead of mental shutdown - unconscious people are a lot easier to deal with than those who are panicking.
Cause stress-induced physical effects (from extreme fear) in baselines - hair goes white and/or falls out, premature aging, sensory impairment.

One level more or less than coma?

It's definitely a "lesser" effect than rendering baselines comatose/catatonic - except for partial sensory impairment (caused by hysteria), we're talking about what's effectively just cosmetic damage, pun intended. ::sly
Cause brief physical seizures in baselines lasting a few minutes.

Sounds like the previous.

Aside from the possibility of physical damage incurred during the seizure? If it's anything like an epileptic fit, the target could wind up taking bashing or lethal damage either from hitting something or simple physical stress. It'd have to be pegged at a higher dot rating than the previous AFAICT.
I've seen a couple of comic books or whatever where the baseline who saw the horror decided to remove his eyes to prevent even the possibility of that in the future.
(Edited for clarity. ::smile )

Excellent! That's *just* the kind of impact that high-dot rating Mega-Ugliness should have AFAIK.

Mega-Ugliness

<The blurb will go here.>

• 1 dot: x.

• 2 dots: x.

• 3 dots: People will do whatever you request, just to get you to leave.

• 4 dots: x.

• 5 dots: Cause various kinds of hysteria reactions in typical baselines who view your horrid visage.

• 6 dots: Make baselines involuntarily urinate and/or defecate out of the basic animal fear reaction upon catching sight of you.

• 7 dots: x.

• 8 dots: Predatory and parasitic animals would rather starve to death than touch you.

• 9 dots: x.

• 10 dots: x.

Succ on M-Ugly (App 0)

1: 3.3

2: 4.6

3: 5.9

4: 7.2

5: 8.5

6: 10.8

7: 13.1

8: 15.4

9: 17.7

10: 20.0

Comments: At Mega-6 and above, *no* *one* can avoid 5+ succ above their willpower. Even Mega-5 is pretty grim.

At Mega-1, the typical willpower 3 dude is going to be suffering from a "1.9" succ in intimidation, at Mega-2 it's 3+.

I suggest...

Mega-2: Standard baselines automatically attempt to leave any room you're in.

Mega-4: Even strong willed baselines automatically attempt to flee your presence

Mega-7: Even extremely strong willed baselines faint in your presence.

Mega-9: The Quasi-Permanent Side Effects thing.

Mega-10: Without physical intervention uninspired creatures attempt to blind themselves rather than risk seeing you again.

I skipped coma and convulsions, they both seemed like enhancement territory.

Note Mega-5 is already "blind panic"-ish.

I suggest...

Mega-2: Standard baselines automatically attempt to leave any room you're in.

Mega-4: Even strong willed baselines automatically attempt to flee your presence.

Mega-7: Even extremely strong willed baselines faint in your presence.

Mega-9: The Quasi-Permanent Side Effects thing.

Mega-10: Without physical intervention uninspired creatures attempt to blind themselves rather than risk seeing you again.

Not bad at all. ::thumbup1 The first three feat suggestions can be plugged in as is, while the latter pair require only minor touch-up editing. To wit:

• 9 dots: The extreme fear your visage provokes can cause stress-induced physical effects in baselines. Examples of such effects include the victim's hair going white and/or falling out, premature aging and partial hysterical sensory impairment.

• 10 dots: Without physical intervention non-Inspired creatures will attempt to blind themselves rather than risk seeing you ever again.

Provided no one objects, I'll go ahead & plug these into the mini-chart. If they pass muster, that leaves us with just one empty slot for the M-Ugly 1 dot rating feat. Ideas? ::smile

• 10 dots: Without physical intervention non-Inspired creatures will attempt to blind themselves rather than risk seeing you ever again.

"Ever" is redundant, and considering they're going to "attempt" it anyway, and succeed in it without physical intervention...

• 10 dots: Non-Inspired creatures will attempt to blind themselves rather than risk seeing you again.

---or----

• 10 dots: Without physical intervention Non-Inspired creatures will blind themselves rather than risk seeing you again.

• 9 dots: The extreme fear your visage provokes can cause stress-induced physical effects in baselines. Examples of such effects include the victim's hair going white and/or falling out, premature aging and partial hysterical sensory impairment.

The extreme fear your visage provokes causes stress-induced physical effects in baselines.

• 10 dots: Without physical intervention Non-Inspired creatures will blind themselves rather than risk seeing you again.
That one looks to be the better of the two. AFA the redundancy of "ever", it wouldn't be the first time it's been used like that. That said, I'm not going to quibble when we're so close to getting this thing finished.

The extreme fear your visage provokes causes stress-induced physical effects in baselines.

Sorry, but I cannot agree with that revision. We are going to need those examples to give the readers a benchmark to go by AFA the caliber of said stress-induced physical effects.

Re: The current M-Ugly chart-

With the latest feats plugged in, it looks like this:

Mega-Ugliness

<The blurb will go here>

• 1 dot: x.

• 2 dots: Standard baselines automatically attempt to leave any room you're in.

• 4 dots: Even strong willed baselines automatically attempt to flee your presence.

• 5 dots: Cause various kinds of hysteria reactions in typical baselines who view your horrid visage.

• 6 dots: Make baselines involuntarily urinate and/or defecate out of the basic animal fear reaction upon catching sight of you.

• 7 dots: Even extremely strong willed baselines faint in your presence.

• 8 dots: Predatory and parasitic animals would rather starve to death than touch you.

RE: Mega-1

3.3 vs. a willpower of 3 means the typical baseline is suffering from a 2 succ intimidation effect.

Typical Baselines...

...can't make eye contact?

...?

That idea has possibilities. The resulting feat would be something along the lines of "Typical baselines must force themselves to make eye contact with you", perhaps?

Typical Baselines...

...move away to let you pass?

I don't know about that one, it seems like what some non-Inspired guy with a decent Intimidation rating would be capable of.

I suppose a viable option would be looking at the feats of intimidation pulled off by the Batman. :batlogo: Problem is, aside from my copy of Kingdom Come & The Kingdom my DC knowledge is rusty as all get out. Examples of such which a M-Ugly 1 squid could plausibly duplicate would be welcome.

I don't know about that one, it seems like what some non-Inspired guy with a decent Intimidation rating would be capable of.
At mega-1 and 3.3 succ we're looking at the baseline equiv of 8 dice.

So by baseline standards he'd be one of the most intimidating guys on the planet, but not in the top 10. Call it 3 App and 5 dice in Intim.... or maybe 6 dice (professional skill) with special circumstances.

Say Tony Soprano when he got out the bolt cutter and seriously told a tied up guy he was going to cut his dick off. Of course that was also the finishing move...

Batman probably uses feats or something and would equiv something like mega-ugly 2 or even 3.

So...

Typical baselines are always actively afraid of you?

Typical baselines are always aware that they're actively afraid of you?

Typical baselines sweat from fear in your presence?

Perhaps a consideration of situational modifiers for intimidation? Like, what effect does being armed have on attempts to intimidate you? Or outnumbering the other side?
I don't think those would apply here. What you're talking about would support intimidation done by anyone, regardless of their looks.

RE: Rewording

I'm good with that.

No, I mean when applied to the *defender*. Such as when your trying to intimidate someone who has a gun pulled on you already, and ten friends standing behind him.

Presumably all modifiers are simply extra dice, either added to Willpower (for the defender) or for the Attacker (i.e. more Intim dice).

Tony presumably has an App of 2 and an Intim of 3, for 5 dice. Under special situations I was assuming he'd have another 3.

Note the ST could and should disallow intim roles of any sort if the subject obviously has *no* way of hurting you. So if our mega-ugly nova is facing a dozen armed thugs and they're pretty confident that they could kill him, intim is going to be pretty hard... although not impossible.

Re: Intimidating targets who have friends and/or weapons at hand-

AFAICT it looks like Alex has the right take on that. Nicely done. ::cool

Re: The finalized M-Ugly feat chart (w/ blurb)-

...is as follows. Barring any reasonable objections or unless any of you have a serious suggestion for another "gray sidebar subject" like "Mega-Appearance Variations", this third appendix is finished. Many thanks to everyone who helped out on this! ::happy

Mega-Ugliness

A squid's surreal repulsiveness grants him a shock value that is outside the context of the typical baseline's experience. Faced with a horror of which cinematic movie monsters are but pathetic imitations most people can and do lose their self-control, which allows the squid to terrorize and/or dominate them as he pleases. Similar to an idol, the squid can also distract people with his hyper-abhorrent looks, with said people quickly losing track of whatever they were doing in their panic over seeing the squid. Likewise, a squid also retains his hideousness in everyday circumstances and can draw attention to himself with relative ease.

• 1 dot: Typical baselines break out into nervous sweat in your presence.

• 2 dots: Standard baselines automatically attempt to leave any room you're in.

• 4 dots: Even strong willed baselines automatically attempt to flee your presence.

• 7 dots: Even extremely strong willed baselines faint in your presence.

• 10 dots: Without physical intervention non-Inspired creatures will blind themselves rather than risk seeing you again.

Looks good... but I wonder if we shouldn't include a blurb about those reservations I mentioned in my previous post?

Mega-Ugly is unique in that it's core advantage is intimidation, and as such is a constant invitation to willpower rolls in opposition. A Squid's awful looks give him an "advantage" here, but situational modifiers can easily grant extra dice to one party or the other. The ST could and should disallow intimidation roles of any sort if the nova obviously has *no* way of hurting whomever he faces.

Looks good... but I wonder if we shouldn't include a blurb about those reservations I mentioned in my previous post?

Mega-Ugly is unique in that it's core advantage is intimidation, and as such is a constant invitation to willpower rolls in opposition. A Squid's awful looks give him an "advantage" here, but situational modifiers can easily grant extra dice to one party or the other. The ST could and should disallow intimidation roles of any sort if the nova obviously has *no* way of hurting whomever he faces.

Looks like another "gray sidebar subject" in the making there, friend. And since that's just the sort of thing I was asking if we needed any more of, adding it in after the M-Ugly feat mini-chart will be no problem at all. ::smile

That said, is that just a first draft or are some editing & additions required?

Re: Gray Sidebar subjects for the other Mega-Socials & the Mega-Mentals-

Mega-Appearance & (now) Mega-Ugliness have these add-ons, but what about the rest of the Mega-Attributes in this Appendix? If you've got ideas, reservations & the like about them that haven't been addressed, now's a good time & place for them to be dealt with.

While the other Mega-Socials grant abilities to get along with people, uniquely Mega-Ugly grants the ability to not get along and to intimidate people. As such it is a constant invitation to opposed willpower rolls. A Squid's awful looks give him an "advantage" here, but situational modifiers can grant extra dice or even prevent rolls. For example the ST could disallow intimidation roles if the nova obviously has *no* way of hurting whomever he faces.

Re: GSS for M-Ugly-

Looks good for unedited material. I'll have an edited version posted here (& placed in the document) soon.

Re: other Gray Sidebar Subjects-

If anyone who's been contributing to this thread thinks that there are any facets or such about the Mega-Mentals, Mega-Manipulation or Mega-Charisma that need to be covered, now's the time to bring them up for consideration. Otherwise, I'm sending off the document to JessiLaurn for PDF conversion as soon as we finish editing the M-Ugly GSS.

EDIT: Here's the edited version of the GSS for M-Ugly. There was very little that needed editing, nice one Alex! ::thumbup1

Mega-Ugliness & Intimidation

While the other Social Mega-Attributes grant abilities to get along with other people, Mega-Ugliness is unique in that it grants the ability to not get along and to intimidate other people. As such it is a constant invitation to opposed willpower rolls. A squid's awful looks give him an "advantage" here, but situational modifiers can grant extra dice or even prevent rolls. For example the Storyteller could disallow intimidation roles if the nova obviously has no way of hurting whomever he faces.

Archived