Aberrant RPG - Mega-Stamina Feats

Sprocket

Re: The feat revisions...-

...are as follows.

Mega-Stamina 7

• Keep performing some task (such as fighting) past the point of death by making a Stamina roll each turn and whenever damage is taken, with a +1 difficulty penalty per health level of damage taken beyond "Dead". Actual death is only delayed until the dynamo fails a Stamina roll or completes the task, and cannot be averted barring physical resurrection of the dynamo.

Mega-Stamina 8

• Keep performing some task (such as fighting) past the point of death by making a Stamina roll each minute and whenever damage is taken, with a +1 difficulty penalty per health level of damage taken beyond "Dead". Actual death is only delayed until the dynamo fails a Stamina roll or completes the task, and cannot be averted barring physical resurrection of the dynamo.

Mega-Stamina 9

• Keep performing some task (such as fighting) past the point of death by making a Stamina roll each hour and whenever damage is taken, with a +1 difficulty penalty per health level of damage taken beyond "Dead". Actual death is only delayed until the dynamo fails a Stamina roll or completes the task, and cannot be averted barring physical resurrection of the dynamo.

Mega-Stamina 10

• Keep performing some task (such as fighting) past the point of death by making a Stamina roll each day and whenever damage is taken, with a +1 difficulty penalty per health level of damage taken beyond "Dead". Actual death is only delayed until the dynamo fails a Stamina roll or completes the task, and cannot be averted barring physical resurrection of the dynamo.

EDIT: Feat wording revised as per suggestions in post #162.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, in regard to both the "fighting past death" rule and the "recovering from past death" rule, I'd say they should interact in some way. Specifically, doing the former should probably hurt your ability to do the latter, though I'm not sure the mechanics.

It could be as simple as, turns spent in continued activity *do* count against your recovery time limit, so most likely, if you fight beyond death, once you stop, you head straight to unrecoverable territory.

Re: Feat wording-

For some reason I think that'd be clearer if it read "and when ever damage is taken".

Noted & fixed.

Re: Feat interaction w/ "Beyond the Brink"-

That certainly does fit the concept of this feat theme well. Having "fighting beyond death" equate to "entering unrecoverable territory" sounds like the most appropriate option AFAICT. Barring objections, I plan on using that tidbit when I hammer out a first draft of "Beyond the Brink".

Re: What we're still lacking-

Since it looks like the 4 "fighting beyond death" feats will all pass muster this time around, I've gone ahead & added another one of Alex's endurance feats in one of the remaining M-Sta 8 slots.

Mega-Stamina 8

• Completely exhaust at least 3,328 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

With that added to the listings, all we need are 1 new feat each for M-Sta 7 & 8, and 2 new feats for M-Sta 9.

Re: Current feat listings...-

...are as follows on 5/20. Barring objections, I'm considering the M-Sta 10 feats to be finished from this point onwards & will not be reposting them until this chart is done (which will be soon, I hope! ::smile ).

Mega-Stamina 7

• Immune to infectious prions, such as the ones that cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Fatal familial insomnia and Kuru.

• Keep performing some task (such as fighting) past the point of death by making a Stamina roll each turn and whenever damage is taken, with a +1 difficulty penalty per health level of damage taken beyond "Dead". Actual death is only delayed until the dynamo fails a Stamina roll or completes the task, and cannot be averted barring physical resurrection of the dynamo.

• Sprint continuously for four days, 21 hours and 20 minutes.

• Stay awake for three Terran standard years, ten months and 13 days straight.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 8

• Completely exhaust at least 3,328 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for 34 days and 16 hours.

• Immune to weaponized infectious prions.

• Keep performing some task (such as fighting) past the point of death by making a Stamina roll each minute and whenever damage is taken, with a +1 difficulty penalty per health level of damage taken beyond "Dead". Actual death is only delayed until the dynamo fails a Stamina roll or completes the task, and cannot be averted barring physical resurrection of the dynamo.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 9

• Keep performing some task (such as fighting) past the point of death by making a Stamina roll each hour and whenever damage is taken, with a +1 difficulty penalty per health level of damage taken beyond "Dead". Actual death is only delayed until the dynamo fails a Stamina roll or completes the task, and cannot be averted barring physical resurrection of the dynamo.

• Stay awake for 21 Terran standard years and 15 days straight.

• Sprint continuously for 26 days and 16 hours.

• x.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 10

• Completely exhaust at least 17,408 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for 181 days and eight hours.

• Keep performing some task (such as fighting) past the point of death by making a Stamina roll each day and whenever damage is taken, with a +1 difficulty penalty per health level of damage taken beyond "Dead". Actual death is only delayed until the dynamo fails a Stamina roll or completes the task, and cannot be averted barring physical resurrection of the dynamo.

• Recover from crippling injuries in 15 days.

Re: "Beyond the Brink" first draft-

If this passes muster, it will follow right behind the Mega-Stamina feat chart in Chapter 3 of AB:TNF. Please read & review ASAP.

Beyond the Brink

Just because someone is dead, it doesn't mean they have to stay that way. Heart attack victims may have no heartbeat for minutes, and yet still be revived... and nova powers allow for even more miraculous recoveries. When a person, baseline or nova, is reduced to Dead status, there is a "grace period" equal to (Stamina + 2 x Mega-Stamina) time units before the person becomes irrecoverable. Depending on the circumstances and nature of the trauma, the time unit may be turns, minutes, or whatever the Storyteller deems is appropriate. During this time, suitable medical or healing treatments can restore the individual to Incapacitated status. The treatment method has to suitable to the cause of death; a victim of cardiac arrest can be restored with CPR or defibrillation, but not someone suffering physical trauma. Generally, the Healing quantum power works on any injury or condition. Excess damage that would put the victim beyond Dead reduces this grace period on a one time unit per level basis, whether inflicted in the initial attack or afterwards.

Complications occur when attempting to recover and/or heal a dynamo who has been performing a task past the point of death. (See the Mega-Stamina feat chart above, beginning at Mega-Stamina 7). Each period (the length of which is determined by the dynamo's Mega-Stamina rating) spent temporarily staving off death in this manner reduces the grace period by one time unit. When the grace period is reduced to zero, the dynamo is guaranteed to die in the immediate future and cannot be healed or recovered.

• 2 weeks later...

::biggrin Whooo-hoo, the forums are BACK! Feels like ::happybirthday ::beer30 & ::xmas all rolled together AFAICT. ::happy

Re: Beyond the Brink-

AFAIK this piece has passed peer review. ::smile

Re: More new M-Sta feats-

During the recent interregnum I've managed to cobble together 3 more feats. If they all pass muster all that'll be lacking is a single feat for M-Sta 9. ::smile

Mega-Stamina 7

• Can shrug off having a 25 metric ton concrete wall falling on the dynamo.

Mega-Stamina 8

• Regrow entire skin in 2 hours and 24 minutes after being flayed alive.

Mega-Stamina 9

• Can shrug off being hit by a T-95 Main Battle Tank.

Proposed M-Stam 6+ Feat: Healing Agg damage faster.

Normally M-Stam novas don't heal Agg faster than a nova without it.

How about after MS6 they start healing at 5 levels lower than their MS level?

Actually, the core book contradicts itself on this. I don't remember the page numbers, but I posted a thread on it somewhere. In one place, it says novas heal aggravated the way baselines heal lethal. In another, it says novas take twice as long to heal aggravated as they do to heal lethal. For the non-Mega-Stamina nova, those two numbers are the same. Personally, I say errata it to be the twice-as-long ruling for simplicity.

[edit]I found it, way back on page 13 of the forum, just click here. Either they still heal Agg at baseline lethal speed, or they take five times as long as lethal to heal it. Any nova of M-Stam 4 or better will already be healing from Agg damage faster than a baseline heals from Lethal. But I would hope, Sprocket, that you guys can put emphasis behind one ruling or the other, just for clarity.[/edit]

Re: The "Yes, I'm dead - I just haven't stopped moving yet" feat-

Just got this idea hammered out & polished up into the 4 feats mentioned in my previous post. So, do they pass muster or is more tinkering required?

Depends; can they Regenerate or Healing back from being "dead" or would that definately require an Enhancement of some other kind?

Anyway, here's a few more:

M-Stam 6: Clarify being hit by a semi. If it hits a baseline at 5kph, that baseline will be hurt, but probably not dead. If it hits the same baseline at 100kph, they are road pizza. Hell, if a semi hits your average M-Stam 3 nova, they probably won't be all that hurt. Say, a nova getting hit by a semi at 200kph still takes no damage.

M-Stam 7: Survive a terminal velocity impact and walk away unharmed. Even at lethal with half soak, that's still enough without any enhancements or powers to drop it to ping, at this point, and I'd say screw it.

M-Stam 8: Survive re-entry to a planet from orbit and walk away unharmed. This might be an M-Stam 9, depending on just how much you think the burning from re-entry is worth in damage.

M-Stam 7: Walk across a live lava flow, or the deepest trench of the ocean, or through the upper atmosphere of a gas giant. This could be shuffled up to M-Stam 8 with a little more description of depth/length/time.

M-Stam 10: Go diving in a star.

Re: Healing Agg damage-

We'll be emphasizing the rules found on p. 254, for the exact reasons that Bahamut810 pointed out. AFA the feat theme, I think you've misinterpreted it somewhat. With the baseline (no pun intended) for novas healing agg damage matching the rate at which baselines heal lethal damage, the feats allow for increasing (but still greatly reduced - 5 whole dots lower than normal!) levels of a dynamo's normal healing rate modifiers to be added when healing agg damage.

Re: The "Yes, I'm dead - I just haven't stopped moving yet" feat-

Coming back from clinical death (i.e. could be plausibly revived w/ medical attention) was just covered in "Beyond The Brink". Coming back from "as a doornail death" requires either of the Reincarnation or Immortality powers. (They'll be part of AB:TNF, but you can get a sneak peek at them in the "Raising the Dead" thread on this part of the Aberrant Gen.Disc. forum.)

Re: Being hit by a semi-

This is one of archer21's feats, but I'll clarify it anyway. Vehicular impact implies "traffic accident", so the semi would be traveling somewhere between 30 & 06-75 MPH. The idea was that a M-Sta 6 would have enough lethal soak from his Mega-Stamina & base Stamina to shrug off being in a traffic accident/pedestrian with a 20 metric ton vehicle.

I'll revise the wording to make the "in a traffic accident" part clearer. ::smile

Re: Terminal impact/orbital reentry falls-

Are you forgetting that all soak is halved in a terminal velocity fall (Corebook p. 256)?

AFA the heat/flame damage from atmospheric friction, I've no canon stats beyond what's on p. 34 of Trinity: Aurora Australis re: how Legion Orbital Assault Troops pull this off. Psychokinetic Flight plus Flame Immunity allows for too much guesstimating as to exactly how much friction must be protected against.

Re: Walking through molten lava-

AFAIK we've no canon stats on molten lava either. I'll check my books, but if you know of any references feel free to let me know. This might just make the cut.

Re: star-diving-

::laugh Sorry, but that obviously requires Adaptability to work at all. Nice try, though. ::sly

EDIT: Orbital reentry-

Found this tidbit of Reignhell's which we're planning to clean up/polish & put in the next section of Chapter 3. I'll see if I can work out a feat from it.

Orbital fall: Calculating the damage of a drop from orbit involves math far too complicated for the story to require. For easy reference, assume that when the poor bastard hits atmosphere, he will be traveling at roughly 1,600 kph (a bit under the speed of Earth's rotation). He will take [20] lethal damage from re-entry, although this is reduced by half if he possesses the Hardbody enhancement. This damage is negated entirely if he possesses Adaptability as an actual Mega-Stamina enhancement, not from Shapeshift or Bodymorph. A nova with Flight may also negate this unwholesomeness with a Dex + Flight roll at a +3 difficulty. Assuming he didn't burn up in re-entry, the nova still collides with the Earth at a frightening speed. Impact inflicts 10d L, with soak counting at half. This creates a 10d shockwave over a radius of 20m.

Re: Healing Agg damage-

We'll be emphasizing the rules found on p. 254, for the exact reasons that Bahamut810 pointed out. AFA the feat theme, I think you've misinterpreted it somewhat. With the baseline (no pun intended) for novas healing agg damage matching the rate at which baselines heal lethal damage, the feats allow for increasing (but still greatly reduced - 5 whole dots lower than normal!) levels of a dynamo's normal healing rate modifiers to be added when healing agg damage.

Fair enough. I was just making sure the contradiction in the book was mentioned.
Re: Terminal impact/orbital reentry falls-

Are you forgetting that all soak is halved in a terminal velocity fall (Corebook p. 256)?

*stops to calculate a bit* Ok, so that nova would have only a lethal soak of 7 with no enhancements or powers, which would then be halved to 4. Given that they automatically get extra health levels at that point, they'd survive at no more than Bruised. But given that we're talking about the level where you get access to powers capable of reshaping entire cities and civilizations, I don't see it as far-fetched that they could step off a skyscraper and land, unharmed. But IMO the falling rules need a bit of an overhaul, period.
AFA the heat/flame damage from atmospheric friction, I've no canon stats beyond what's on p. 34 of Trinity: Aurora Australis re: how Legion Orbital Assault Troops pull this off. Psychokinetic Flight plus Flame Immunity allows for too much guesstimating as to exactly how much friction must be protected against.
If you feel the need to bump it up to M-Stam 9, I can get that. It might be a bit much. But you're still talking about novas only a small step short from absolute ultimate power.
Re: star-diving-

::laugh Sorry, but that obviously requires Adaptability to work at all. Nice try, though. ::sly

They'd need Adaptability to breathe, I suppose. But come on - to get M-Stam 10, you have to have Q10, which includes the power to create a freaking universe. Q-10 feats should be close to, if not over, the top.
Orbital fall: Calculating the damage of a drop from orbit involves math far too complicated for the story to require. For easy reference, assume that when the poor bastard hits atmosphere, he will be traveling at roughly 1,600 kph (a bit under the speed of Earth's rotation). He will take [20] lethal damage from re-entry, although this is reduced by half if he possesses the Hardbody enhancement. This damage is negated entirely if he possesses Adaptability as an actual Mega-Stamina enhancement, not from Shapeshift or Bodymorph. A nova with Flight may also negate this unwholesomeness with a Dex + Flight roll at a +3 difficulty. Assuming he didn't burn up in re-entry, the nova still collides with the Earth at a frightening speed. Impact inflicts 10d L, with soak counting at half. This creates a 10d shockwave over a radius of 20m.
Interesting. What if they have HyperFlight, will that allow them to avoid impact in the nick of time? Or Invulnerability(Energy) applying against the atmosphere burn?

Re: The falling rules-

But IMO the falling rules need a bit of an overhaul, period.

You're in luck then: Reignhhell has covered that too.

Re: Star-diving-

Yeah, but it still goes against the idea of "what a given rating of a Physical Mega-Attribute can do w/out enhancements". I've nothing against over-the-top feats for Q8-10 novas, we just need to find one that's closer to the idea I just restated.

BTW, the "keep doing stuff after death" feat certainly qualifies for "over the top" at M-Sta 10 AFAICT. Anything that lets a Dynamo keep fighting/running/whatever for days past the point where he should've been relegated to the morgue is plenty epic.

Re: Orbital falls-

Hyperflight would likely be treated just like Flight, as increased speed doesn't equal increased Dexterity in this case. Invulnerability: Fire/Heat or Energy (using the Broad Category Extra) would protect against orbital reeentry friction heat just fine AFAICT.

Re: Molten Lava/Metal-

Just found Reighnhell's rule for this: it inflicts 8-10 Lethal dice of heat/fire damage (depending on how hot it is) per round of contact. With just the lethal soak derived from base Mega-Stamina (& assuming a base Stamina of 5, which gives +2 lethal soak), being unharmed by molten lava would require M-Sta 8 at a minimum.

Re: M-Sta feat chart, ratings 7-9-

Here's a convenient repost of what this part of the M-Sta feat chart looked like just before the forums went down. For future reference, all the feats for M-Sta 1-6 & 10 have been filled, approved & are considered to be finished. All we need are ideas for 1 feat for M-Sta 7, 1 for M-Sta 8 & 2 for M-Sta 9.

Mega-Stamina 7

• Immune to infectious prions, such as the ones that cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Fatal familial insomnia and Kuru.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 8

• x.

Mega-Stamina 9

• x.

• x.

Re: Molten lava feat-

After doing some research & number-crunching, I've managed to hammer out BlueNinja's "walking on lava" idea into what I hope is a plausible M-Sta 9 feat. It's posted below with the other 3 proposed feats, please review. ::smile

Re: Surviving terminal impact falls-

I've been crunching the numbers for this too, & I'm happy to say that BlueNinja's claim is fully supported by the math. I've hammered the idea into a feat which will replace the previous "falling concrete wall" feat.

Mega-Stamina 7

• Can survive an ordinary terminal impact fall with only bruises to show for it.

Mega-Stamina 8

Mega-Stamina 9

• Can shrug off being hit by a T-95 Main Battle Tank going at full battlefield speed.

• Wade through molten lava without being harmed.

EDIT 6-06: Hmm, there don't appear to be any objections, so I'll go ahead & add them to the chart for final peer review on the AB:TNF forum.

Re: Feat mini-charts for the Mega-Mentals & Mega-Socials-

A while back blushing_bunny (and a few others whose names I don't recall at the moment) expressed an interest in seeing feat charts for the rest of the Mega-Attributes in AB:TNF. I'm not opposed to the idea, although I'd limit those charts to just 1 feat per dot rating where we don't already have canon feats to use. (AFAIK, that just means the feat slots for Mega-Intelligence 1 & Mega-Wits 1 are already taken.)

So, what do the rest of you lot think about this?

Agreed on the proposed feat mini-charts being both difficult to produce and very useful, esp. for Aberrant newbies. I'm hopeful that the reduced number of feats per dot rating and wider focus would make the production process go faster than it did with the Mega-Physical feat charts. What with AB:TNF being the final Mega-Attribute ebook, it's the logical place to put what really should've been in Brainwaves & Forceful Personalities.

I'll review the initial thread & see what I can salvage from it. I'm also thinking about writing up the old "using Mega-Dex to strip people" idea as another companion piece for the Mega-Dex feat chart.

EDIT (06-08): Found the thread, which had a very nice interplay of ideas between blushing_bunny & Alex Green. I'll definitely repost that material on a new thread if there's still a call for Mega-Mental & Mega-Social feat examples.

Re: finishing things up-

At the risk of sounding presumptuous, I'm declaring the Mega-Stamina feat chart to be finished & am reposting the complete chart with corrections for your enjoyment. Many thanks for the help, everyone! ::happy

Mega-Stamina 1

• Can shrug off a heavyweight boxer's best shot.

• Can soak damage caused by disease, immune to infection via open wounds.

• Ignore the dice penalties caused by the intense heat found in large fires.

• Immune to anthrax, cancer and the common cold.

• Unaffected by extreme levels of environmental pollution.

Mega-Stamina 2

• Completely exhaust at least 16 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for four hours.

• Immune to scorpion glass toxin (see Aberrant: Underworld, p. 62), ricin and most forms of nerve gas.

• Stay awake for 16 days straight.

• Unaffected by subsonic pain/nausea fields (see Aberrant: Year One, p. 108).

Mega-Stamina 3

• Immune to all forms of tear gas.

• Can shrug off the impact of a 5 story fall.

• Sprint continuously for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

• Unaffected by the extremes of atmospheric and/or liquid pressure, such as exposure to vacuum or ocean-floor water pressure.

• Unaffected by toxic cyanide compounds (i.e. hydrogen cyanide, sodium cyanide, zinc cyanide, potassium cyanide & mercury cyanide).

Mega-Stamina 4

• Can shrug off being run over by a car in a traffic accident.

• Can soak damage caused by radiation - soft radiation is considered bashing and hard radiation is considered lethal - without automatically losing Health Levels.

• Immune to HIV/AIDS, leprosy and "killer" strains of influenza.

• Recover from crippling injuries in one month.

• Unaffected by caesium, polonium and irradiated thallium poisoning.

Mega-Stamina 5

• Completely exhaust at least 224 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for nine days and eight hours.

• Immune to Ebola fever, Marburg fever and Pneumatic plague.

• Immune to the effects of nanoweapons such as DeVries Nanokill (see Aberrant: Brainwaves).

• Sprint continuously for 18 hours and 40 minutes.

Mega-Stamina 6

• Can shrug off being run over by a semi-trailer truck in a traffic accident.

• Immune to bioweapons such as weaponized tularemia, Machupo virus and smallpox.

• May heal aggravated damage as lethal damage, albeit at 5 dot ratings lower than normal.

• Recover from crippling injuries in 23 days.

• Swim across the Pacific Ocean nonstop.

Mega-Stamina 7

• Can survive an ordinary terminal impact fall with only bruises to show for it.

Mega-Stamina 8

Mega-Stamina 9

• Can shrug off being run over by a T-95 Main Battle Tank going at full battlefield speed.

• Wade through molten lava without being harmed.

Mega-Stamina 10

• Completely exhaust at least 17,408 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for 181 days and eight hours.

• Recover from crippling injuries in 15 days.

Re: Mega-Mental & Mega-Social feat charts-

A random thought: instead of trying to somehow cram the other six feat charts into New Flesh, how about just releasing them as an extra PDF later on? That would give time to do them properly, without unduly delaying New Flesh.

::shrug I wasn't completely gung-ho about putting in the mini-feat charts for the Mega-Mentals & Mega-Socials into AB:TNF (probably as a third Appendix - what did you expect from an Aberrant book? ::tongue ), but they do need to be hammered out just because they'd be incredibly useful. Besides, it's the *last* Mega-Attribute book, so I've been having a serious "better here/now than who knows when/where" feeling about this.

As to whether it would delay the release of AB:TNF... well, I've only just now been tackling the "optional rules" material for Chapter 3 & am about to put it up for initial peer review. If all goes well, Chapter 3 could be finished soon save for the material on public defenders at the tail end of it. And there's still lots of work to do on Chapters 1 & 2.

So here's a counter-proposal: why don't you & the other EON posters who have an interest in these full-blown feat charts for the Mega-Mentals & Mega-Socials take over for us on this? You've seen me handle getting the 3 Mega-Physical feat charts into shape, & you know the format I've been using. I could repost what little source material I have for them either here or on a new thread. While you're all hammering out those 350 or so feats, I can get back to working on the other parts of AB:TNF.

Besides, I'd really like to see what you guys can come up with for Mega-Ugliness, myself. ::devil

::blink What, nobody's feeling up to the challenge? ::laugh

Unless someone else cares to step up to bat on creating full-fledged charts, we'll be going ahead with the "feat mini-charts" for the Mega-Mentals & Mega-Socials. Having just one feat per dot rating will make things go quite a bit faster, & we can just tack the final product onto the tail end of Chapter as a third appendix. I'll be starting a new thread for that soon. ::smile

Archived