Aberrant RPG - Mega-Stamina Feats

Sprocket

Alex's Editorial Comment: So with an interval of one woman Mega-Stamina 2 means you make a normal roll after 4 and a +1 after 8, so our feat works.

It's nice to know that guesstimation of mine turned out to be on the mark. ::laugh

Re: Modified "NF/SA" chart-

I'll write up a version of SkyLion's chart modified as per metaphysician's suggestions, then post it here for further discussion. I'd really like to get 5 or 6 feats out of this, if it proves plausible.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll put in another plug for my system. The strength is the ST can adjust the interval to whatever is appropriate.

Effects: Assume the WW rule of 7 applies, i.e. if you're rolling 7 dice with no difficulty you can assume success. Also assume novas with mega-stamina always use it to buy off diff. So the first time you have to roll it's at a +1 diff with normal dice. Use the letter "i" as an abbreviation for "interval".

The VAST majority of baselines have to roll every interval (i).

Novas without Mega-Stamina have to roll on the second i (with Stam 4).

Mega-1: Roll on 6th i and every 2 after that.

Mega-2: Roll on 16i and every 4 after that.

Mega-3: Roll on 40i and every 8 after that.

Mega-4: Roll on 96i and every 16 after that.

Mega-5: Roll on 224i and every 32 after that.

So with mega-stamina 5 you can stay awake without rolling for almost a year and only need to roll once a month. With Mega-1 it's most like a week and you roll every other day.

Note these are just the effects, I think we can put the math into a more "English" form.

I'll put in another plug for my system. The strength is the ST can adjust the interval to whatever is appropriate.

AFAICT, your system looks excellent & is pretty much a shoo-in for the "expanded rules" part of Chapter 3.

That said, can it help us hammer out five or so plausible/usable "nonstop combat/strenuous activity" feats for the Mega-Stamina feat chart?

All we have to do is plug in the numbers.

What are decent Intervals for...

1) HTH Combat? (15 minutes?)

2) Swimming? (1 Hour?)

3) Sprinting? (5 minutes?)

4) Sex? (1 Woman?) ::wink

5) Staying awake? (1 Day?)

If we accept that the interval to worry about for HTH is 15 minutes... then...

Baselines roll every 15 minutes with an accumulative diff of +1. Many won't make the first roll even without a diff.

Novas without Mega-Stamina have to roll after a half an hour at +1.

Mega-1: Roll after 1.5 hours at +1 without their mega-dice (auto up to that point), with +1 every half an hour after that.

Mega-2: Roll after 4 hours and every hour after that.

Mega-3: Roll after 10 hours and every 2 hours after that.

Mega-4: Roll after 24 hours and every 4 after that.

Mega-5: Roll after 56 hours and every 8 after that.

So at Mega-2 you can fight without pause for 4 hours as a feat. Odds are good that you can actually do it for 5 (8 dice with a +1 diff means the odds favor you) or 6, but just with the basic MS2 we *know* you can do 4 without spending willpower or any risk.

You can also have sex with 16 women, stay awake for 16 days (2 weeks), do an speed swim for 16 hours (I'm not a swimmer so this is iffy) or *Sprint* for an hour and 20 minutes (i.e. run 20 4-minute miles back to back).

Re: Plugging in the numbers-

Those examples are looking good, I admit. I'm definitely going to have to revise that "10 baselines" feat. ::sly ::laugh I'll add some feats based off this scheme by tomorrow. Nice one, Alex. ::thumbup1

Re: Those new feats (& 1 revised)...-

...are as follows. If they pass review, they'll be added to the chart.

M-Sta 2

• Completely exhaust at least 16 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for four hours.

• Stay awake for 16 days straight.

M-Sta 3

• Sprint continuously for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

M-Sta 5

• Completely exhaust at least 224 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for nine days and eight hours.

If these feats all turn out to have legs, we'll need only 2 more for M-Sta 5 before we can focus on the M-Sta 6+ feats.

Re: Alex Green's "Feats of Endurance" rule-

If I'm reading it right (& feel free to correct me if I'm not ::smile ), the doubling of the period between intervals continues on up into the 6+ dot ratings, yes? Wouldn't raising the doubling to a more drastic increase be more "in tune" with the idea of the Mega-Attributes at the 6+ ratings? If so, what should be the new rate of increase at that point (M-Sta 6)?

RE: The Feats

I think they're good but I'm biased.

Re: Alex Green's "Feats of Endurance" rule-

If I'm reading it right (& feel free to correct me if I'm not ::smile ), the doubling of the period between intervals continues on up into the 6+ dot ratings, yes? Wouldn't raising the doubling to a more drastic increase be more "in tune" with the idea of the Mega-Attributes at the 6+ ratings? If so, what should be the new rate of increase at that point (M-Sta 6)?

If we use M-Str as an example then it only doubles...although M-Stam 6 *also* gives you a +1 auto succ which effects the other side of the equation.

Mega-6: Roll on 576i and every 64 after that. (i.e. 9 x 64)

Mega-7: Roll on 1408i and every 128 after that. (11 x 128)

Mega-8: Roll on 3328i and every 256 after that. (13 x 256)

Mega-9: Roll on 7680i and every 512 after that. (15 x 512)

Mega-10: Roll on 17408i and every 1024 after that. (17 x 1024)

So the increase is more like 2.4x rather than 2.2x. :Shrug: These numbers are getting pretty big anyway. At Mega-10 you can stay awake for 47 years before needing a roll and then only need to roll every 3 years after that.

Re: Latest batch of feats-

Provided that they don't provoke any outrage on part of the rest of the EON posters contributing to this thread, I expect to be adding them into the main chart soon.

Re: General Rule, expanded-

So the increase is more like 2.4x rather than 2.2x.

This is counting the "+1 AS per dot of Mega-Stamina above 5" for each dot rating, correct? If so, I don't have any problems with the rule or its expanded results.

Re: What's next-

I'll see about whipping up a few more of the high-caliber (dot rating 6+) feats, but some fresh ideas for possible metabolic threats of that magnitude still would be very welcome.

Hmmm....

Honestly...fun as a mental exercise as this may be, I think my solution was more elegant (I'm biased.) I applaud your complexity Alex and it seems internally consistent but let me ask you....What are the chances anyone is going to roll play out years of combat anyway???? Zilch. So I like mine better.More cinematic and no need for rolls...because cmon...are you *really* going to make someone roll ever nth interval? Please... ::indifferent

Depends on the situation and who the high and low men are. Odds are *very* good that everyone doesn't have the same level of mega-stamina. The question is at what point does this matter, and for whom?

Three novas (MStam 0, 1, & 2) are fighting an endless hoard of Zombies. More than likely it's not going to be a round by round thing.

After 2 hours the nova without mega-stamina had to flee long ago, the nova with mega-stamina 1 is surreally tired and is going to have to join him, and the nova with mega-stamina 2 is still fighting at his peak and will be able to do so for a while.

I've never had to make an Endurance roll, but part of that might be with no rules on it the ST has avoided the situation. Having mechanics makes high Stamina more useful, not less.

Here's an odd question regarding these two feats...

M-Sta 2

M-Sta 5

...will there be any sort of rules for possibly screwing someone, especially a baseline, to death?

I can see someone creating an assassin with M-App, M-Chr & M-Sta and killing their targets after several days, through physical (sexual) exaustion. With no poisons or weapons being used to give away the fact it was an assassination, it would just look like an unfortunate accident and the assassin gets away scottfree to kill again.

I'd tend to say, requires an enhancement. Normally, its not possible to kill someone with too much sex, as exhaustion will prevent performance eventually. And while it *is* possible to work oneself to death in other ways, sex involves too many autonomous functions that can't really be consciously over-ridden.

Re: New "feats of endurance" general rule-

Honestly...fun as a mental exercise as this may be, I think my solution was more elegant (I'm biased.) I applaud your complexity Alex and it seems internally consistent but let me ask you....What are the chances anyone is going to roll play out years of combat anyway???? Zilch. So I like mine better.More cinematic and no need for rolls...because c'mon...are you *really* going to make someone roll ever nth interval? Please... ::indifferent

Ditto for what Alex said. Also, I'd like to point out that game mechanics can always be (& often are) glossed over or outright fudged by the Storyteller whenever they're getting in the way of the story. Playing dynamos in a cinematic fashion does require a clear idea of what said dynamos are normally capable of. ::smile

Re: Death by sex overload-

...will there be any sort of rules for possibly screwing someone, especially a baseline, to death?

Not in this e-book. The feats you pointed out are meant to act as double-edged swords AFA a dynamo's sex life. The positive aspect (or what Joe/Jane Sixpack would consider positive) is the ego boost/bragging rights a dynamo gets from taking on so many partners & outlasting them all. The negative aspect is the problem of needing that many baseline partners in order to get one's itch scratched decisively for a while. That really tends to put a strain on a dynamo's relationship with a baseline lover/spouse.

AFA accomplishing your idea, I'd peg it as an unusual form of the Poison power.

Here's an odd question regarding these two feats...

I can see someone creating an assassin with M-App, M-Chr & M-Sta and killing their targets after several days, through physical (sexual) exaustion. With no poisons or weapons being used to give away the fact it was an assassination, it would just look like an unfortunate accident and the assassin gets away scottfree to kill again.

It wouldn't work. My GF thinks that I have Mega Stamina and Mega appearance, and eventually she's just done... ::laugh Seriously...sometimes enough is enough when it comes to friction.

As per getting their itch scratched, thats not about stamina, thats about how turned on you are and your self control abilities... ::ultracool

I was just wondering about that, since, as metaphysician pointed out, there are ways to overwork yourself to death. What initially made me think about that was an old webcomic where one of the minor characters who was always getting the short end of the stick in life ended up with a woman who was always on. At first he was always bragging about being with a woman who always wanted him and only him, but as the comic went on, he realized how much of a double edged sword it was, and she wouldn't take no for an answer, ever, and after five months of this storyline, he was killed from overwork and exhaustion. I was just thinking that a Nova with the right enhancments and powers would be able to force a partner to willingly continue to engage in such activities long after they would normally say enough, and force them to work themselves beyond exhaustion.

Another question along a similar vein is what happens when a dynamo man and dynamo woman with different levels of M-Sta hook up. In an earlier post it was suggested that a baseline woman could do what a dynamo man could do at M-Sta 2. So my question would be what would happen when a M-Sta 2 dynamo woman hooks up with a M-Sta 4 or 5 dynamo man? Would the normal 'whoever has the highest mega attribute generally wins' or since woman have a natural advantage in this aspect, the higher M-Sta man would be considered an equal to the lower M-Sta woman and they would be able to satisfy each other?

AFA accomplishing your idea, I'd peg it as an unusual form of the Poison power.

Could you please expand upon how you see it as a form of Poison. If it was a form of quantum power, I would think that it would more likely be Quantum Vampire that steals health levels and with either a weakness or abberation that the power could only be used during intercourse.

Sorry if my last few posts seem to be of a rather sexual bent, but I'm curious.

Re: Anon's questions-

We're getting into a tangent here, so I'll make it short. The Poison quantum power needn't be limited to strictly inflicting toxins or diseases. To simulate your idea, you'd just use the mechanics of the Poison power to inflict what metaphysician correctly identified as an unnatural, damaging physical condition. It's the same thing as Quantum Bolts not all having to be interpreted as energy beams/blasts.

As for Dynamo + Dynamo hookups, I'll just note that it would likely be handled as any other case of competing Mega-Attributes would be, according to the rules on p. 155 of the core book.

Re: The sex lives of Dynamos-

As per getting their itch scratched, that's not about stamina, that's about how turned on you are and your self control abilities...

And I've seen lots of speculation on the old White Wolf Trinity Universe forums to the contrary (i.e. stamina & esp. Mega-Stamina being a major factor) on that subject. The discussions those Aberrant gamers/STs have had have influenced much of what's going into the Mega-Physical e-book & what went into the Mega-Social e-book.

Re: New feat ideas-

Judging from the lack of any apparent outrage, I'm adding them to the main list. We still need some ideas for high-caliber threats for the 6+ feats, though. Metaphysician has pretty much convinced me that weaponized prions are implausible, so what else in the chemical/biological arena could be frightful enough to qualify?

In an earlier post it was suggested that a baseline woman could do what a dynamo man could do at M-Sta 2.
Male/Female differences just don't mean much compared to the Megas, or even the dice.

With no Mega a nova will probably have an Endurance of 8 (5+3) compared to a baselines 2 to 4. Put a different way he has the stamina of two or three normal men.

At mega-Stamina 1 without rolling he's the equal of 6 men.

At mega-2 that's 16.

How many baseline women can out last 6 men? 16?

In an earlier post it was suggested that a baseline woman could do what a dynamo man could do at M-Sta 2.

Also note that women in that situation usually take the passive role, expending a lot less energy.

Anon, I suggest that you get in contact with an EON poster by the moniker of Blue Thunder. He's stated an interest in writing an "Aberrant: Sex" book sometime before he dies. The Mega-Physical e-book won't have any focus on sex, as we still have way too much material in the Biotech, Combat & Storytelling chapters to hammer out to start adding any more additional topics.

Shit man! If you do find Blue Thunder, ask him what happened. I mean, Ive long since gotten over and forgiven him for unceremoniously dissappearing and leaving Prometheans Unbound hanging and cold turkey, but it would be nice at least to know he's okay. Maybe if he knows we wont be mad at him he would feel more welcome to come back and join in new endeavors?

He has been gone for soooo long...last visit June 16th 2007, last post on May 10th...whoa! exactly a year ago!

Anyways yes i have sent many a PM and Email periodically to the tune of "where are you, are you okay, ever coming back?" all with nary a reply.

::sad

so what else in the chemical/biological arena could be frightful enough to qualify?

How about strains of flesh eating virusus, such as Necrotizing Fasciitis, and types of flesh eating fungi? Flesh eating virusus can be lethal in as little as twelve hours and there's a type of flesh eating fungus that, while affecting less than a thousand people a year (if memory servers correctly) but is lethal to more than 99% of people affected.

If these were turned into bio-weapons for the game, they would be rather nasty I would think. Especially if the fungi one could be made more transmissible.

Anon, I suggest that you get in contact with an EON poster by the moniker of Blue Thunder. He's stated an interest in writing an "Aberrant: Sex" book sometime before he dies.

And I remember Blue Thunder making a post to that effect back when I first showed up in '06. Even though I lurked for the course of a year, I never noticed that he had left. If he does show up again, I'll see if he would be up to a collaborative project.

The nastier bio-weapons will be created with nova powers and use those mechanics.

Do we want to go into Sci-Fic? The alien from Aliens?

I imagine at the initial stage of implantation, it probably wouldn't take *that* much Mega Stamina for your immune system to kill the xenomorph larvae.

The real problem: as it dies, it stops containing its own acid blood, and while the stuff doesn't stay active for too long, having a glob of hydrofluoric suddenly appear in your gut would be bad, even for novas.

Re: Frightful threats-

Things like flesh-eating bacteria/viruses/fungi would likely use the mechanics of the Poison quantum power, albeit with the Aggravated Extra & possibly Burning as well.

Re: Blue Thunder-

Well, doesn't that just suck. ::sad The Development Team may be in the same boat with JessiLaurn, as we've not heard from her in ages.

Re: Xenomorph larvae-

::blink I'd rather not include them since the Xenomorphs are trademarked concepts of a company that's a lot more strict about copyrights than White Wolf is. Best to leave the Aliens to their established RPG & the current crop of "Aliens vs. Predator" schlock/gimmick movies, methinks.

As for "molecular acid" & other Aggravated attacks, soaking them would definitely be rated as M-Sta 6+ feats if they're permitted at all. Aggravated poison/bioweapons would likely rate lower than outright Disintegration or matter-energy conversion.

Re: M-Sta feat chart as of 05/10-

Here's the current version.

Mega-Stamina 1

• Can shrug off a heavyweight boxer's best shot.

• Can soak damage caused by disease, immune to infection via open wounds.

• Ignore the dice penalties caused by the intense heat found in large fires.

• Immune to anthrax, cancer and the common cold.

• Unaffected by extreme levels of environmental pollution.

Mega-Stamina 2

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for four hours.

• Immune to scorpion glass toxin (see Aberrant: Underworld, p. 62), ricin and most forms of nerve gas.

• Stay awake for 16 days straight.

• Unaffected by subsonic pain/nausea fields (see Aberrant: Year One, p. 108).

Mega-Stamina 3

• Immune to all forms of tear gas.

• Can shrug off the impact of a 5 story fall.

• Sprint continuously for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

• Unaffected by the extremes of atmospheric and/or liquid pressure, such as exposure to vacuum or ocean-floor water pressure.

• Unaffected by toxic cyanide compounds (i.e. hydrogen cyanide, sodium cyanide, potassium cyanide & mercury cyanide).

Mega-Stamina 4

• Can shrug off being hit by a car.

• Can soak damage caused by radiation - soft radiation is considered bashing and hard radiation is considered lethal - without automatically losing Health Levels.

• Immune to HIV/AIDS, leprosy and "killer" strains of influenza.

• Recover from crippling injuries in one month.

• Unaffected by caesium, polonium and irradiated thallium poisoning.

Mega-Stamina 5

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for nine days and eight hours.

• Immune to Ebola fever, Marburg fever and Pneumatic plague.

• x.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 6

• Immune to bioweapons such as weaponized tularemia, Machupo virus and smallpox.

• Recover from crippling injuries in 23 days.

• Swim across the Pacific Ocean nonstop.

• Can shrug off being hit by a semi.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 7

• Immune to infectious prions, such as the ones that cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Fatal familial insomnia and Kuru.

• x.

• x.

• x.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 8

• x.

• x.

• x.

• x.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 9

• x.

• x.

• x.

• x.

• x.

Mega-Stamina 10

• Recover from crippling injuries in 15 days.

• x.

• x.

• x.

I think we have to use the "stay awake" one for Stam 5 to 10. We're really going to hurt without it.

I was thinking in a similar vein. Here's another batch of feats to pad out the upper ranks a bit.

Mega-Stamina 5

• Sprint continuously for 18 hours and 40 minutes.

Mega-Stamina 7

• Sprint continuously for four days, 21 hours and 20 minutes.

• Stay awake for three Terran standard years, ten months and 13 days straight.

Mega-Stamina 8

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for 34 days and 16 hours.

• Immune to weaponized infectious prions.

Mega-Stamina 9

• Stay awake for 21 Terran standard years and 15 days straight.

• Sprint continuously for 26 days and 16 hours.

Mega-Stamina 10

• Completely exhaust at least 17,408 baseline sexual partners in a single session.

• Engage in nonstop hand-to-hand combat for 181 days and eight hours.

If we really need to add in a couple more "staying awake" feats we've got the room, but I'm hopeful that we can come up with ideas for the final dozen feats we need without doing that. For example, the "soaking aggravated damage" idea could count for two or three feats, depending on how the different sources of such injury are rated.

EDIT: Just rechecked the Mega-Stamina listing in the core book, the "soak aggravated damage" feat idea may have to be scuttled. The Hardbody enhancement lets a Dynamo soak aggravated damage as if it were lethal damage, albeit at a cost of 1 quantum point per turn.

EDIT #2: Good news, I've found some RL speculation about the use of weaponized infectious prions, which of course qualifies such for use as Nova Age "ultrablack" biotech. I've added immunity to weaponized infectious prions as a M-Sta 8 feat. If this and the other feats in this posting pass review, we'll just need 11 more to finish this thing.

Re: Nothing for M-Sta 6?-

M-Stamina 6?

That dot rating already has 4 feats listed in the main chart. I was keeping the fifth slot free in case someone on this thread had a novel idea for it. Yes, I'm suffering from an acute attack of optimism, could you tell? ::laugh

Re: Available feat slots-

Assuming that the batch of feats in my preceding post all make the cut, here's a breakdown of what we're lacking.

M-Sta 5, 6 & 10: One empty slot each.

M-Sta 7: Two empty slots.

M-Sta 8 & 9: Three empty slots each.

Re: More exhausting activities-

This means different activities from HTH combat, staying awake, sprinting, swimming & sex, correct?

I don't think the chart for continuous exertion goes far enough. Im just putting in my opinion on that, but as I have come to learn I am one of those people who has less conservative views on what Aberrants power scale should represent. I seem to get consitently shot down or out voted by the likes of Alex Green or Metaphysician. I find the fact that I often find myself agreeing with Nullifier (When he is here that is) to be very telling... ::closedeyes

Regarding the xenomorph question, Ive seen them adapted for many a game though I can see your hesitation over copyrights. In the world of Aberrant it could be as simple as a Nova mad scientist digging the movie so much he genetically engineers them.

If we are asking where that would be on the Mega Stamina scale, its merely a matter of being able to soak or regenerate the unsoakable health levels of damage from it bursting through the ribcage. Keep in mind that xenomorphs take on the genetic qualities of the host so its possible they could develop nodeas and quantum powers from being inside a Nova.

Or were you asking for the feat level where the nova hosts immune system would simply reject and kill the egg?

Health might work too, and disperesed organs would negate the operation altogether.

Re: Opinions on Dynamo's power scale-

I don't think the chart for continuous exertion goes far enough. I'm just putting in my opinion on that, but as I have come to learn I am one of those people who has less conservative views on what Aberrants power scale should represent.

Considering that we're talking about what Mega-Stamina is capable of without any of the extra benefits provided by the enhancements, I think we're hitting the right balance here. It's nothing against you or Nullifier, but we're describing the bare-bones foundation of a Dynamo's capabilities. Once the enhancements are added in, I think you'll find the power scale leaps up toward the level you're thinking of pretty darn quick. ::sly

Re: Xenomorphs-

I wasn't saying that they had no place in the game. I'm just saying that 1) thanks to the potential for copyright violation they have *no* place in this book, and 2) they're best left to homebrew interpretations if they're to be used at all. That said, there is/will be some new material in the Mega-Physical ebook that will be of much help in designing Xenomoprhs in Aberrant terms.

I don't think the chart for continuous exertion goes far enough. Im just putting in my opinion on that, but as I have come to learn I am one of those people who has less conservative views on what Aberrants power scale should represent.
It's tempting to say various activities can be done pretty much forever since after a certain point, the level of energy used for exertion is low enough that it's effectively "resting". If we do this then after MS6 or so we end up with someone who can run forever (and get back juice at the same time). Following this school of thought as Stamina goes up various activities become "unlimited".

Although I find this attractive on certain levels, it's also profoundly game altering of basic mechanics... to the point where I think I'd call it a development of the theme of Stamina as opposed to the power of Stamina.

Proposed M-Stam 6+ Feat: Healing Agg damage faster.

Normally M-Stam novas don't heal Agg faster than a nova without it.

How about after MS6 they start healing at 5 levels lower than their MS level?

If that means "healing Agg damage as lethal damage at -5 M-Sta dot rating", I like it a lot. I also think it's a shoo-in for that last empty slot for M-Sta 6. Your suggestion has this feat pegged at M-Sta 7, but placing it at M-Sta 6 would really help to outline the qualitative difference between M-Sta 5 & the higher dot ratings.

Don't sweat it. ::cool Anyhow I'll be writing up a feat for it shortly, which still leaves us with an empty slot for M-Sta 5. Suggestions, anyone?

EDIT: And here's the "spit-polished" version of Alex's suggested feat. If it passes muster, then we're finished with M-Sta 6.

Mega-Stamina 6

• May heal aggravated damage as lethal damage, albeit at 5 dot ratings lower than normal.

Archived