Trinity Universe: Backlash Universe

Expendable

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

arg! ::brick <----SkyLion Hitting head on impassable "Wall" of 30 NPs....

Sowwie. It's going to be near impossible for new novas to get the training they need in the US, so everyone's limited to 30 NP. I could have cut it lower. Anyplace you can train your nova powers outside the US is watched, so you'd wind up on a watch list - and definitely not allowed back in the country.

I understand..and as a first time ST its probably smart to limit to 30 NPs. However i would like to just point out that some Novas erupt "out of the box" (as Alex likes to say...guess I do too now...) with more than 30 NP. In other words its not like all novas start out at the 30 point level everywhere...unless you decree thats how it is in your world...its just the default chargen for PCs....

And btw the idea I am working with is a Nova with Warp...good luck keeping it out of the country... :warp:

I understand..and as a first time ST its probably smart to limit to 30 NPs. However i would like to just point out that some Novas erupt "out of the box" (as Alex likes to say...guess I do too now...) with more than 30 NP. In other words its not like all novas start out at the 30 point level everywhere...unless you decree thats how it is in your world...its just the default chargen for PCs....

And btw the idea I am working with is a Nova with Warp...good luck keeping it out of the country... :warp:

I'm sure if you guys put your heads together, you might figure something out. And If this works out right, we might branch into another city and you can create better characters there. Ok? ^_^

Aww...Its OK Ex! We love you for creating a game you know that right? I was only voiving my frustration with the idea that almost all new games tend to be "standard" and I have a few higher end ideas that have been collecting dust for awhile. Envy in particular never got his due play time in.

Im happy regardless!

better <> more expensive

ST,

What about Merits and Flaws? As I read this all closet novas should take the flaw Secret at 3 points (secretly a nova, results would have you imprissoned) and everyone should take Enemy at 3 points (unfriendly but not dead, more powerful). I'm on pages 75-6 of the APG.

ST,

What about Merits and Flaws? As I read this all closet novas should take the flaw Secret at 3 points (secretly a nova, results would have you imprissoned) and everyone should take Enemy at 3 points (unfriendly but not dead, more powerful). I'm on pages 75-6 of the APG.

The way I read it, I'd agree that we'd all be under this - but that makes it game world neccessity, not specifics of your character, and therefore makes it not point-worthy. (If that changes, I'll be spending a few more points then!)

The way I read it, I'd agree that we'd all be under this - but that makes it game world neccessity, not specifics of your character, and therefore makes it not point-worthy. (If that changes, I'll be spending a few more points then!)
Agreed that's one interpretation (although in theory we could play baselines or Psions)... but it could also be viewed as a "common flaw".

EDIT: Or we could play government backed novas. It'd suck for the rest of the group to be a nova who hunts down other novas, but there is historical presedent. Meaning at least in theory this doesn't *have* to be a flaw.

Hmmm...but I have a character who actually has other flaws. Of course there is nothing wrong with me taking on extra flaws for no point value! I would like to use the standard 10 however if applicable...

Also...What do you say to that idea of playing government Ops? From Ex's description, this particular story is focused on Novas on the run....DOES the government employ Novas??? That is an excellent question. Also Ex, very important for me...I was planning from the get go on playing a nova who hasn't been outed (via 5 dots in cipher). Is this an acceptable option? I could still work with the Network...

Hmmm...but I have a character who actually has other flaws. Of course there is nothing wrong with me taking on extra flaws for no point value! I would like to use the standard 10 however if applicable...

Also...What do you say to that idea of playing government Ops? From Ex's description, this particular story is focused on Novas on the run....DOES the government employ Novas??? That is an excellent question. Also Ex, very important for me...I was planning from the get go on playing a nova who hasn't been outed (via 5 dots in cipher). Is this an acceptable option? I could still work with the Network...

If you haven't been outed, why are you seeking their help? But it's an acceptable option. Only how are you going to work with the other novas hiding out?

If you haven't been outed, why are you seeking their help? But it's an acceptable option. Only how are you going to work with the other novas hiding out?
I had a similar idea (though slightly less in Cipher), that the character isn't so much seeking help from the Network as being part of it. I put more details in the PM I sent you.

I'm making a hulk-like character, and I've been scouring the internets to try to find a copy of hulk's stats. Haven't been successful so far. I'm not going for his power level, but I'm just trying to see how the transformation is handled. Do I just take alot of Dorm along with size morph and boost? Or is there an easier way? Forgive me if this is obvious, I'm not as familiar with Aberrant Character creation rules as I am with other systems. Thanks guys.

I suppose I should say something too before we overlap too much. I am going for a "superman" type. Mega Strength and Stamina at 3 dots, Hyperflight, Mega Appearance and a Clark Kent like secret ID. I am also taking psychic link. Still waiting to hear back from Ex on a few of my particulars.

Re: the Hulk..

Which aspects did you want to play up? Hulk would definitely have a dot of growth, which puts you at m str 2 m stam 1 if you max his baseline atts (if you want to that is).

Boost is good for the whole, angry=stronger..in fact you might consider taking as a weakness, flaw or aberrration the uncontrolled power for that one.

Also uncontrolled transformation could be good if you want the Hulk to have "a mind of its own" and it also takes care of the dormancy issue.

Have you considered other aspects? Like Bruce Banners Mega Intellect? Think about what aspects of the Hulk character you like...the insane murderous rage version or the version where he has his superior mind and strength.

I'm making a hulk-like character, and I've been scouring the internets to try to find a copy of hulk's stats. Haven't been successful so far. I'm not going for his power level, but I'm just trying to see how the transformation is handled. Do I just take alot of Dorm along with size morph and boost? Or is there an easier way? Forgive me if this is obvious, I'm not as familiar with Aberrant Character creation rules as I am with other systems. Thanks guys.
I would recommend 1-2 Growth, 1-2 Density Increase (fixed), and at least M-Stam 1 (Resiliency x2). But that's just my take. Possibly with Dorm 4-5, and Taint 4 (colored skin).

Meh...even 1 dot of DI with Q3 at fixed gives you a density of 12,000 lbs... Hulk does NOT weight that much....denser than human sure..but not DI Dense.....

On the other hand, who says his character has to be anything like the Hulk aside from appearance, or even that? In which case a single dot of DI is enough to take you to Mega Str 5 easy. Keep in mind the effects of that weight though. With the Extreme extra and a point of Taint, you have M St 6 for 3 NP...of course that will burn your juice in a matter of minutes in combat but for those minutes you will be one of the strongest beongs on earth....

For obvious reasons I rarely will make a Density Increaser without flight..otherwise you will always be stuck on the ground floor (If not the basement... ::laugh )

When it's illegal to be a nova, only criminals will use them. That's me. :) And I'm recruiting.

Jason is very loosely based on Christpher Soprano (I didn't watch all the sessons so it has to be very loose).

Cipher is of course a must, as is dorm, and I'll probably built the rest of the guy around Matter Cham.

(IC) Nefarious? Me?

Keep in mind that just being a nova is illegal so you all are the nefarious ones. My associates and I only wish to point out that life would be so much better in a "family" type group... and if we on occassion wish a favor they'll be pretty minor compared to the crimes you have already committed. You need to hide in the shadows, nothing can change that for now, but there are others who have always lived there and have the experience and resources to not only survive, but thrive in that environment. A nova is a huge economic resource, and if polite society doesn't wish to employ them, well, that's their loss and our gain.

(OOC) J would gladly join the network, if they would have him. Keep in mind he was a criminal before he erupted, so from his point of view not much has changed. He hasn't joined your lifestyle, you have joined his.

Always one to rock the boat eh Alex! ::sly

Well if Ex is fine with it then I am too, though it would seem on the surface that your character concept has the potential to hijack her game concept.

And what if a Nova (say a do-gooder superman type) were to take exception to your clasifying him as a criminal. Nobody has joined your lifestyle. If before eruption you took advantage of and hurt people its quite another story than an honest citezen who by no fault but their own genetics are labeld outlaw by society...

Also, and I won't say much until Sablesama reveals more publicly...but your character and his might have some problems...

I can see this game is going to get out of hand *very* quickly.

Oh yeah..just realized you're going for the Q5 concept again...Matter Chameleon is one of those powers I always wanted to play but have not yet had the inspiration to. Thats at least 6 NPs spent on Q, Knowing you many atts and abilities maxed for another 5-10, and then the rest into M Stam and Chameleon, and I'm sure you will have some sort of nasty trick up your sleeve that you won't mention publicly...like a dot of Disintegrate...

How much Taint are you looking at and how scared should we be of you...

*sigh* And they call ME a powergamer...I swear, Alex likes to play some of the most devious bastards or otherwise that you'ld ever come across...it's almost as if he views the whole gaming experience as one big tactical exercise... ::unsure

::smile

Well if Ex is fine with it then I am too, though it would seem on the surface that your character concept has the potential to hijack her game concept.
I have to say that I haven't actually gotten approval yet.,,
And what if a Nova (say a do-gooder superman type) were to take exception to your clasifying him as a criminal. Nobody has joined your lifestyle. If before eruption you took advantage of and hurt people its quite another story than an honest citezen who by no fault but their own genetics are labeld outlaw by society...
(IC) "No? Which one of us is on the run from the police again? Which one of us is dishonest about what his name is? Reality has changed my friend. No matter where you started, don't forget for a moment where you are."

"All right, look, some times society chooses to bless certain activities, up to and including murder, torture, and genocide. Hitler got his inspiration from reading how we dealt with the Indians. The cow boy's and army were heroes, but if they did their thing now we'd never put up with it. Everything I ever did as a baseline pales compared to what you are doing now. That isn't right, and it isn't fair, and it isn't just... but it is what it is. Live with it. Things change."

"And while you are thinking about that, think about what you're going to do for money when your resources run out and the cops hire accountants to take your stuff. Think about what you're going to do if the cops storm one of your safe houses. Are you going to kill them? Will some of your fellows? Personally I'd just leave, but that's what my powers let me do."

I can see this game is going to get out of hand *very* quickly.
You say that like it's a bad thing. ::devil ,,
Oh yeah..just realized you're going for the Q5 concept again...Matter Chameleon is one of those powers I always wanted to play but have not yet had the inspiration to.
That's because for it being very expensive it's also not a real "power gamers" thing, especially not at one dot. You really need it for low end games because of it's power and nature, but those tend to have limited points.
Thats at least 6 NPs spent on Q, Knowing you many atts and abilities maxed for another 5-10, and then the rest into M Stam and Chameleon, and I'm sure you will have some sort of nasty trick up your sleeve that you won't mention publicly...like a dot of Disintegrate... How much Taint are you looking at and how scared should we be of you...
Oh, I'm probably the weakest one of you all. MC isn't a big offensive power, and I don't have Disin. What MC really lets me do is run away and be stealthy. BM: Air, walking through walls. I have no aberrations because having them means the police show up whenever and whereever you do. I'd recomend that for the rest of you as well, keep the taint low or there will be more than social problems.

The big danger I present to all of you isn't my power, it's my view point. Turn to the dark side Skywalker

The big danger I present to all of you isn't my power, it's my view point. Turn to the dark side Skywalker

Exactly my point...are you sure that fits well for this game? If we all go for it great! But I can tell you right now you won't be getting my character to join your ill-concocted schemes...

The real REAL danger is of the group fragmenting or otherwise not being cohesive enough to allow for a story...for example I can tell you my character is going to see things in terms that are pretty black and white...

::rolleyes ::indifferent ...

that isn't to say it won't work. I think it will be incredibly dynamic and fun. Especially if Shade plays his follower Roach, but I digress.

I just think we should talk about how it can work....but there needs to be a plausible reason. I think when Ex gets back from vacation she will have more to tell us about the setting, and our various PMs about how things can work well.

What are people thinking for nature? On the surface the obvious choice for me is Paragon, though I may also go for the twist and choose something else.

And btw, Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and good cheer to everyone else!

And a special thank you to Alex Green and all of his other Alias's for always giving me the pleasure of a nice surprise.

Cheerio. ::happy

Exactly my point...are you sure that fits well for this game?
Oh, I'm very much not sure. That's why this isn't an approved character concept, much less approved character.
If we all go for it great! But I can tell you right now you won't be getting my character to join your ill-concocted schemes...The real REAL danger is of the group fragmenting or otherwise not being cohesive enough to allow for a story...for example I can tell you my character is going to see things in terms that are pretty black and white...
Let's say for the moment that the rest of you are wearing white hats to my black one. I'd *still* be a useful guy to have around, and I'd *still* want to be around.

You don't have to sell your soul to me to make use of my resources. I can make suggestions, offer ideas, and the brutal truth is many of them are going to make a lot of sense because I've lived here longer.

Evil is a journey, not a destination. Like it or not, the moment all of you decided to live on the run outside the law you took your first step. Much, MUCH, *WORSE*, it's likely I and what I represent will be the lesser evil on occassion.

"Hungry? Here, have some food. Don't thank me, just remember where it came from."

I still haven't gotten my character submitted...holiday time and family time. Soon, though, soon. Two things though:

Alex, I don't anticipate my character having much of a problem. Skylion was referring to the fact that he's an ex-cop, but his character concept has shifted a bit. Still an ex-cop, but now very disillusioned by events in his life and probably isn't going to have a lot of love for the government and its laws.

Also, I have the main Abby book but I'm not quite ready to invest in the Players Guide, I'm not sure its really worth it. Of course, there are things in it that I want. Can anyone recommend a place to find a list of Merits and Flaws?

Thanks so much, and happy holidays.

Also, I have the main Abby book but I'm not quite ready to invest in the Players Guide, I'm not sure its really worth it. Of course, there are things in it that I want. Can anyone recommend a place to find a list of Merits and Flaws?
Many of the Merits and Flaws are the same between Aberrant and Trinity, if you own the Trinity PG. (It was free for download from drivethrurpg.com at one point.) Otherwise, I'd suggest skimming oWoD books, and asking us on the boards if they are the same, or discussing the character concept with one of us and having us suggest a few.

My character concept is definately a Paragon, who is on the side of Good, though not so much on the side of Law. I can imagine his first reaction to Alex's character being, "But I shouldn't help you! You hurt people!" ::laugh I'm almost looking forward to playing someone still hanging on to a naive outlook on life.

Hey Ex, if you've got no complaints, I'm going to ask around GE&R for the San Diego forumites to recommend a good place where Kenneth would have an apartment/condo.

Many of the Merits and Flaws are the same between Aberrant and Trinity, if you own the Trinity PG. (It was free for download from drivethrurpg.com at one point.) Otherwise, I'd suggest skimming oWoD books, and asking us on the boards if they are the same, or discussing the character concept with one of us and having us suggest a few.

My character concept is definately a Paragon, who is on the side of Good, though not so much on the side of Law. I can imagine his first reaction to Alex's character being, "But I shouldn't help you! You hurt people!" ::laugh I'm almost looking forward to playing someone still hanging on to a naive outlook on life.

Hey Ex, if you've got no complaints, I'm going to ask around GE&R for the San Diego forumites to recommend a good place where Kenneth would have an apartment/condo.

Go ahead. I've asked them for some ideas to throw at you guys or things to expand this world a bit. Only a few of them there know me as Expendable though.

Alex and Sky, I'm mulling over your character ideas and will let you know. I've pm'd both of you.

Because you are all playing illegals hiding in San Diego, I want you to really think about being part of a low ranking node in the network - we supply you with ids and work, but a lot of times we're going to ask you to do things. like taking care of other novas moving through the network to San Diego or other places.

Me too. Looks like my black hat will be toned down slightly...

Jason is built to committ undetectable crimes and is a real resource for the network. He's an inhumanly good investigator who always knows when he's being observed. He's got some advanced stealth type techniques for sneaking around and walking through walls.

And yes, he has a truck load of criminal connections.

(Which isn't to say he's fully approved yet).

But seriously...what is it? Another web forum? What has it got to do with San Diego.
GE&R stands for Gamers, Ethics & Religion. It's basically a debate forum populated by gamers, mostly gamers of the dice-rolling kind. Some of the members live (or have lived) in San Diego, hence my asking them. ::happy

Oooohhh....sounds...intriguing.
www.criticalfumble.net (or was it .com?) Watch out for ... well, I'd probably end up listing half the forum. Just keep on your toes and roll with the punches. ::biggrin

Kenneth Foxmart, M.D., has been approved for play. He's a low-ranking member of the Network, specializing in medical care and the occasional falsified test or screening.

Archived