Adventure! RPG: Adventures of the Mystical and Mundane - IC

Dear Mr. Piper,

I am writing this to let you know that I am closing down Gentek laboratories. Our experiments were successful beyond our wildest imaginings. Unfortunately, those successes have grown past our control and we have a responsibility to fix our mistakes. With that in mind, I will go after subject number four and eliminate it. I understand that this may not be in your best interest, but its the right thing to do.

This is my letter of resignation.

Respectfully,

-Thomas Tellford

The page falls from William's now nerveless hand. His eyes blink twice. All that he would do - his grand quest - his adventure...

It's all he can do to turn away before his stomach rebels.

He wipes his mouth with a pocket handkerchief. "Well... it seems we are looking for a Mr Piper and Gentek laboratories."

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

William sighs. "Well, we have our lead. We'd best contact our benefactor, although I doubt he will be terribly impressed with our... progress."

He turns to Adam, "Mr Trooper, as you have already been exposed, would you mind gathering up the evidence? I suspect it would be worth a more thorough analysis.... Especially as our unfortunate victim doesn't seem to have any other weapons. And Mr Blakemore, I don't suppose you might know where we would find this Gentek lab, by any chance?"

Thinking as he worked, Adam says, "OK, we've probably been seen, and we've got a fresh corpse here. I think there's only one way to handle it... but you're probably not going to like it. When you have a mess of this nature, what you want to do is to blame the dead guy.""

Adam takes a deep breath, ""We knew he's involved, we tried to arrest him, he ran, he resisted arrest, and while he was pulling out his stuff we killed him. This even has the advantage of being true."

William sighs. "Well, we have our lead. We'd best contact our benefactor, although I doubt he will be terribly impressed with our... progress."

He turns to Adam, "Mr Trooper, as you have already been exposed, would you mind gathering up the evidence? I suspect it would be worth a more thorough analysis.... Especially as our unfortunate victim doesn't seem to have any other weapons. And Mr Blakemore, I don't suppose you might know where we would find this Gentek lab, by any chance?"

The Ophidian shakes his head no.

"I have not heard of thiss Gentek. Piper is however quite wealthy and keen to invest in any projects that capture his interesst."

Adam said, "So everyone good with blaming the dead guy?"

William sighs, but nods. "Mr Blakemore, if you wouldn't mind, your coat pocket is probably the last place anyone would look for this letter. Other than that, I believe we can remain more or less true to what actually happened whilst subtly shifting emphasis and consequent blame toward... the unfortunate gentleman."

"Shall we?"

• 3 weeks later...

Within a short spell, Deacon, the Sheriff makes his way to the scene. Standing there, holding his sweat stained hat in one hand, scratching his sweaty scalp with the other.

"So eh...what happened here?" He asked in a concerned tone.

Obviously sure he won't like the answer, and knowing he can't do anything about it.

Adam said, "The good news is we found one of the guys involved in the murders. He was a little sloppy last time. One guess whose hotel room was just a couple of feet away from the last victim. The bad news is he resisted arrest a little too much."

William adopts his most sombre expression as he says, "The poor man appears to have been carrying vials of a peculiar liquid. And, whilst we will certainly have to have this substance analyzed at our laboratory, the most likely explanation for his actions would be a strong adverse reaction to a narcotic. I have it on good authority that the effects of laudinum on a small percentage of unfortunates can be likened to turning Mr Stevenson's Dr Jekyll into a certifiable Mr Hyde."

"Sheriff, we don't want to interfere in your jurisdiction any more than we already have. I think it best if you have the body transferred to Mr Algreto, along with all effects - as they are now all evidence."

"I'm sure we can leave this in your capable hands whilst we pursue the true nature and origin of potion. "

Archived