Adventure! RPG: Adventures of the Mystical and Mundane - Chance the Magic Stone.

Well it done hath happened. I've had a terrible bug to play some adventure and have decided to throw something together.

The story will be a global adventure, it will be roughly based on story arcs that have been predetermined. Each story arch has a time table and they all mature on their own independent of the others. So the longer it goes in the arc you're in, the further along the other stories will progress as well. This doesn't mean that you have to rush through an arc...but do realize that life doth go on around you all.

Similar to the "In search of Inspiration" game run by Blue Ninja, I would prefer you all discuss character before attempting one, so you don't double up. I'll have you know, I have a desk job and will be responding to posts frequently and keep the game going as fast as you all can...Muahah!

Imagine if you are invited ( or will be shortly ) to a private gathering of Talent. A group / agency recruiting from the best of the best. IDA, Aeon, Branch 9, even the Contedorri (if it exists ? ) will be welcome. The purpose of this new gathering is dealing with strange encounters. Perhaps a version of the Men in Black...who knows.

Small town terrorized. Babies and grown men alike turn up missing...locals report a "BEASTMAN"

Big town gangsters growing and growing with reckless abandon. Policemen have stated that known "button Men" have been shot dead...only to turn up later.

This is but a glimpse...for a closer look inquire below.

I'd like at least 3 players no more than 5. It will be my first game on this site so I don't need to go too crazy.

The story line is about 90% original, a few things have been borrowed (( not going to lie about that )). Everything borrowed has been adjusted to fit this game, just like the basic idea.

The character creation out of the book would be prefered. As for backgrounds, I'm sure people know crazy things to break the game...just don't be nutty. A general idea is that of a MIB game. It will take place in Adventure Continuity. Mid 1920's time frame. If you choose backing (( which could help explain why you're invited )) I'd appreciate you all hashing out before you make characters that way there is no overlap.

The game will move around most of America with a few shards of international travel to start. Investigating scenes and small towns.

I think it will have a good bit eerie feel. That is the idea, always misty and either evening or early morning scenes...heh.

Any questions let me know.

Update. How does a 'investigator' type character sound Shade? Thinking of going for a Stalwart with the Heightened Senses, Aetheric Vision, and Sensory Filtering. Probably go for Indisputable Analysis pretty quick as well, but I'd likely wait until after the game starts to get that one.

yeah that sounds awesome. One thing to consider...the game will be a touch creepy and hopefully shocking. So remember when you build characters, to think about a few things.

A.) Do you want to be suprised by scary moments?

B.) Do you want to start more powerful...or achieve power later

C.) Why would a new organization select you out of all the others. Do you belong to an agency of somekind already, are you just THAT good at what you do, etc. etc.

D.) Would you rather be the underdog...or the one telling other people how it is.

I just want to bring questions like that to fore front. I like the idea of a stalwart blade, i like the private eye angle. The game certainly will have all that pulp flare...

Well, I'm not necessarily wedded to any ideas right now, but I've always kinda tended to gravitate towards daredevils for some reason.

I was thinking maybe just an extremely lucky guy. So a really high inspiration and willpower, probably death defiance, perfect poise, maybe the knack that let's you use anything as a weapon (at work and don't have my book) and perhaps the knack that makes you resistant to telepathy and the like.

Honestly, this is the character that always pops into my mind first when an A! game comes up, and then I talk myself into something else eventually, so we'll see.

I always lean toward Mesmerist, but I'll have to browse before I'm definite.

I'm not one to want to take the lead. She isn't the type to scare easily, not to say that some things don't just get to everyone. I think I may go for the mesmerist with an affinity for the occult. More knowledge in those areas than she'll likely let on, but an interest in strange happenings and finding out if its 'otherworldly.'

Raised by a Grandfather with a similar interest known world-wide, but he's gone missing of late, and since she was his apprentice and the second-most knowledgeable in this field she's been fielding the requests that come in asking for his assistance, going herself to investigate.

Sound acceptable or do I need to lean in another direction?

Sneaking!

Sneaking foul Hobbitses!

er..ideas...I may have an idea for this one too.

Im hesitant because I start classes this week and need to sort of focus on getting that ball in the air before i add another. If need be I can always be picked up by the team later...

I always lean toward Mesmerist, but I'll have to browse before I'm definite.

I'm not one to want to take the lead. She isn't the type to scare easily, not to say that some things don't just get to everyone. I think I may go for the mesmerist with an affinity for the occult. More knowledge in those areas than she'll likely let on, but an interest in strange happenings and finding out if its 'otherworldly.'

Raised by a Grandfather with a similar interest known world-wide, but he's gone missing of late, and since she was his apprentice and the second-most knowledgeable in this field she's been fielding the requests that come in asking for his assistance, going herself to investigate.

Sound acceptable or do I need to lean in another direction?

I Like it...proceed Madam.

Ok so now that I am back I need a confirmed list of those interested and perhaps some ideas so we can get the ball rolling and hopefully convince someone to let us have a game link :-D.

So the list so far is this...

Blade - ??

Prince of Boredom - the character he always wants but never plays

Tooho - Mesmerist occult detective

Skylion - ??

Alex Green- 600 year old man who has extra time.

Is this correct?? Please let me know...word!

Obviously Mr. Old would be a Stalwart with that level two power. Optimized Metabolism or something. As I recall it says you age normally until somewhat mature then one year per Stamina*10 (so call it 50). So with 600 years he'd be 12 years older than when it kicked in, call it 16. So he looks 28. The way someone like that says alive is to avoid bordom and notice, so he's more or less stayed on the Fronter for a long time. Sounds like an Explorer to me. :)

One thing though, I'm on my last point and my choices are to increase App and Chr or buy 5 of the underlying skills (all from 0 to 1, he already has the others). Any thoughts on which is better or makes more sense?

well i suppose it boils down to natural talent or learned abillity. If you've been around for 500 years...you probably have picked up a little bit of everything. I would go with the skills. ON the other hand...if you have the perfect metabolism...chances are, like most professional athletes in perfect health...your a friggin model.

I would buy it either way. Personally I would build with the skills.

How ( if at all ) is he part of any of the backing organizations? And which one.

I'm guessing I should have added that. EVeryone gets a free backing 1 in the organization of their choice. The free dot counts if you spend in the background as well...but doesn't count as the enhancement. Its only the first dot.

((Some of this info was borrowed from a Blue Ninja Thread. ISOI OOC. Frankly he's smarter than me.))

Character Creation:

basic stats and bonus points in black, Inspiration in blue. You may spend a total of 15 experience points, which you should mark in red. I'm not 100% in the know with merrits and flaws so please get them approved before selection.

please make sure you count the free background dot you receive for your Origen as per the A! rules. Please include a fairly comprehensive background on your characters, why they have the backgrounds/abilities that they do, how they gained Inspiration, etc. The more details you give me, the better I can focus the adventures you're going to have.

All of you must put at least one background dot into Backing (any agency) but you are not allowed to spend more than four dots this way. The basic beginning idea is that you all will come from another agency after being approached to join this new one!!

Purchasing an Ability Mastery will let you re-roll 10s on the Ability dice for a roll (much in the same way Qualities do for Attributes), on top of giving you that extra 6th dot.

Please, please, please discuss your characters amongst yourselves. I'd prefer to have little to no overlap in primary abilities for characters. (IE, I don't want a whole party of Engineering Masters, or Brawl/Martial Arts masters, etc. One person with Mastery, and other people with lower levels of the same skill is fine.)

Take it away folks; you'll know when it's time to show up in the IC thread.

Also, please include any secretive questions to my PM. Once i have a general idea of what you are interested in playing...i can run little intro scenes for you all to get you integrated into the game... :-D

I'm a relatively narrative storyteller and get a touch long winded in my posts...so brace yourselves.

The start time i'm aiming for is no later than November 1st so get your brains working!!

BTW my email address is fletch000@earthlink.net. Send me your characters to that address please. or via PM.

Thank you and I look forward to seeing them all!

Hmm... ::happy ::happy ::happy 15 exp.

That's enough to turn Mr. Old into the dashing swordsman. Hello Ability Mastery in Melee.

Mr." John Smith" (obviously not his original name) stopped aging (mostly) when he was young and stupid, and then he went and did the young and stupid things for several centuries rather than several years. He's seen everything, been everywhere, done everything and has most of the listed skills (with the obvious exceptions of Science and Drive which are both pretty "new") with a heavy dose of the old ones, but his approach hasn't always withstood the test of time (Medicine and Engineering are iffy). On the other hand he has hundreds of years of experience with a sword and speaks a number of languages.

Backgrounds:

Like many paranormals he has the tendancy to get sucked into odd situations, and he was recruited by Max into the Aeon society.

John's history is fairly iffy and he's not known publically to be immortal (Cipher), I'll give him the Aboriginal Origin I think.

He lives well below his means (and has for long enough that he's aquired wealth).

Hmm... sounds like I just built Mr. McLoud.

Ok, so inspiration (pun intended) has finally struck me a bit. Here's an idea that came to me this morning; I'd love some feedback on what you guys think.

So the concept is a professional gambler/poker player. Think Mel Gibson's Maverick as inspiration. I'll still be going with a high (minimum 8) willpower with maxed (likely all intuitive) Inspiration and Death Defiance, Indomitable Will and Perfect Poise. He'll be high on social attributes and skills (possibly mastery in subterfuge) so could probably fit the 'faceman' role of the group. Probably a fair amount of contacts (to represent his various friends and opponents in gambling circles) and at least a bit of wealth. I'm also thinking about a rare/exotic weapon of some sort (for whatever reason I seem stuck on a bola) that he won from a European 'adventurer' a few years ago. This would of course obviate the need for him to be pretty good with thrown weapons.

Thoughts?

Ok well I have confirmation from 4 players so I will start a new thread for the IC portion of the game.

For those who are not completed as of yet, please send me your sheets and questions to either my PM or my email address. Fletch000@earthlink.net. My original start date of November 1st may be a little premature, considering I only have one character sheet submitted...so we may have to hold off a few more days. I will, however add a few prologue posts into it...for flair.

Confirmed List:

Alex Green: Adam Trooper

Prince of Boredom: Gabriel Anderson

Tooho: Unknown

Blade090: Unknown

Cool Cool. Yay adventure!

Archived