[OpNet] Cry for help.

Randal 'Glimpse' Heathman

I am uncertain on how to best broach this matter. I have never posted here and have only met a couple of novas in my lifetime. Please excuse the nature of this email if seems to forward but time is short and we need results expeditiously.

My name is Isaac Banta; I am research Hematologist with the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. The focus of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital is advanced research into blood related genetic disorders. This area hits very close to home for me. I myself suffer from severe Type A Hemophilia.

The research we do is crucial in developing treatments and God willing maybe even someday

cures for such problems as hemophilia, sickle cell anemia, thrombocytopenia, and many other genetic disorders. However, the American government is its infinite wisdom recently passed a bill cutting the funding to a majority of research programs. Unfortunately our lobbyists didn’t talk to the right people or bribe enough of them because our foundation was one of those who will suffer from the cut in funds. Also, recently our foundation has been plagued with a decline in donations. Ever since the Triton foundation found a cure for AIDS there has been a decline in public concern of blood related diseases.

What do I want from you? I am not asking you for money. I am asking you for your support. I have tried to contact Project Utopia in an attempt to get some publicity and hopefully generate interest in our cause. However, I am always relegated to some pencil-pushing PR rep who tells me that the members of Project Utopia and Team Tomorrow are far to busy at this juncture and he we be more than happy to gather a few quotes we could post in the local newspaper. I am not asking anyone to challenge the Government I would just like to get some faces involved. I don’t care if you just erupted yesterday Novas draw attention. And we need some serious attention.

I have worked far to long and hard to see my lives work deteriorate due to some bureaucrats attempt to save a few bucks. I need your help please. Do it for the children.

Sincerely,

Isaac Banta Ph.D.

Well, I think I could do more than a few quotes.I may not be a meber of utopia, and I may not be the best at this sort of things,But I could say this. Iknow that what you do may stop to much suffering for me not to do something..Depending onw hat hapens this friday,I could give you a day or two of my time.

I would be willing to pull a few strings here and there.Mind you I will nto promise that you will get all what youw ant,but you will most likely get what you need.I hope.

I don't have all that many contacts within Project Utopia or Team Tomorrow - but many members of the organization post on this board. Violette, for example, is a member of the auxilary branch. You might want to get in touch with them.

As for myself, I haven't yet decided if I want to publically endorse anything in my nova guise - in fact, I'm not sure if I want to be a public figure at all. But I do believe you do vital work, and if I do decide to go public I'll certainly help you out.

I'm pretty close to Cincy so it would be nothing for me to drive down for a bit. I haven't had a bowl of Skyline Chile for some time, not to mention one of my favorite bars is Sudsy's on Vine. Nowhere else can you have a beer, wash your clothes, and catch a good show all in one.

I might be able to help you some. There's a Dr. here in michigan who is researching the same sort of things. I've been letting her prod and poke me because of my blood based abilites for a while now, but she hasn't made all that much progress. Maybe I can take a break from being her guinea pig and see if I can be of any help to you? I dunno, Dr.Carsoula's pretty looney, I may not be any help at all but I would be happy to help if you need me.

Stigmata, your visit might really be something really great for the good Doctor.

Dr. Banta, if you could contact the son of a fellow poster, Preston, he might be willing to help out as well. He is newly erupted and a medical student.

I will see what else I can come up with.

Miss Fortune - it would be wonderful if you could give me a few days of your time. At this point I think I'd rather have unaligned novas as oppossed to those who have commitments to other organizations. Thank you I will be at the office all day today so drop in anytime.

Vixen - Thank you for your kind words and I understand the hesitance you must be feeling. I attempted to contact Violette as you suggested however I have yet to receive a response. No doubt she receives a ton of messages a day all claiming to have been referred to her by someone she knows. I was wondering if it would be possible for you to contact her? If not, I understand you are a busy individual? Once again thank you.

Endeavor - A $100,000 is no pittance our accountants can parlay use that to keep this facility operational for at least another month. I believe them that the members of Utopia and T2M are very busy individuals. However, I think if they would just hear me out I think they would agree that the work we do here is very necessary and deserving of funding.

Stigmata - I will personally spring for the first bowl of Skyline. It would be wonderful if you could volunteer your time and allow us to take samples of your blood and run a few tests. You advanced biology could be a great contribution to our research.

Jager - As with Vixen I feel that being an unknown attempting to contact a nova with only the lame story of "Such and such said I sould get with you," would not yeild any results. If it is all possible could you contact Preston for me? I know this is asking alot but it would greatly be appreciated and I think your name on a private message would yeild higher results.

Hemorrhage.

Had it at all occurred to you that perhaps some people should die? And no, I'm not talking on a morality level, I mean only to espouse the notion that up until as recently as 1900, the ill and infirm rarely made it to adulthood, and rightly so. The fact that not everyone had a long, happy, productive life ensured that the people who did would have an easier time at it instead of struggling for and squabbling over a finite number of resources.

Only over the last hundred or so years have we felt this compulsory, saintly urge to "save" everyone. And I'm sorry to be the one to point this out, but I do not think we can or indeed should save everybody. Death is a natural process of the life-cycle, one that baseline and nova alike, in our arrogance, have sought to fight since the first time a caveman realized his friend wasn't going to wake up ever again.

Just like AI and cloning, this advanced medical research comes in a very alluring package, and just like those other issues, we have spent so much time and energy answering the question of "if" that we never bother to ask "should".

Look at how much the population has swelled in the last ten years alone and tell me that everyone should be saved. Then tell me again ten years from now when medical breakthroughs and life-extension technology have allowed the population to swell from 6 billion in 2000 to 11 billion currently to 20 billion in ten short years.

I'm sorry, Doctor. You are undoubtedly a very noble, caring man who means very well, and I commend you for that. If there's anyone in this world worth saving, it's children. I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors, but I cannot support or endorse them.

Unfortunately, I must stand on the side of the Reaper in this matter.

.ronin

Ronin, you mistake population growth in thrid world natoins and the coralatoins it has with with medical breack threws.Also has the idea that nire acurate census taking has made the numbers"grow".

Undercurten staticts, there is closse to 7 billion people,not 10.THe idea of 10 in 2010 was a reactoin to false studies that lacked the death rates of unknownsBut let's not get ahead some poel.Remeber now we also have a grater food suply.

As forthe idea that there will be 20,000,000,000, well really think that would be a number that is unreasonable.Get this one, brith rates are down!In some places such as Germany, Italy, Ice Land, France,, the poplulatoins are shrinking!You have china, witch is also shrinking,and japan, india is slowing down, so is the US.

So the place with most medical care are either slowing down or Shrinking.

Ronin

Yes, the inevitability of mortality has occurred to me. But, you mistake me as some fanatical zealot standing on a soapbox preaching about saving the entire population of the planet. I am a man of science and would never be foolish enough to believe that there will ever be a cure for death.

The lump of tissue in your brain could have just as simply mutated into a malignant tumor as it did into your MR Node. Had that been the case am I expected to believe that you would simply say, “Oh well, guess it's my time to die. That's the hand fate dealt me, survival of the fittest and all.” I seriously doubt it. It is very easy for you sitting on the other side of the fence. Happy, healthy and a nova. Your unique biology makes you immune to most illnesses and diseases. This makes it very easy for you to take this particular stance on this matter. It's not really a concern for you now is it?

On to your point that both nova and baseline should simply accept death as a process of the natural order. There are fewer things that novas have to fear as a cause of death than your ordinary baseline. Most average, everyday people can't step out into mid day traffic get hit by a bus and walk away as though nothing happened. Not that I am naive enough to believe that every nova could survive such trauma. But I have had the opportunity to study nova biology and it is a proven fact that nova's are extremely resistant to most diseases. I believe this gives your kind a distinct advantage in the whole survival of the fittest race.

I myself suffer from severe Type A Hemophilia, a genetic disorder that slows the healing process. I lack a particular enzyme called Factor VIII that does not allow my blood to clot and scab to prevent excess blood loss. I have also developed up an antibody to Factor VIII the very enzyme my body needs to help my blood clot. Most people with my disorder don't last long. I will not believe that what I am doing is arrogant, I am not trying to prolong any one's life beyond reasonable expectancy. All I'm trying to do is insure these people get the chance to live a life. You could have stated your position simply by not replying to my request.

I'll leave you with an old saying my mother used to say, “Best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.”

P.S. Do you possess any power over electricity? I think your heart needs a jump-start.

Hemorrhage.

Actually, that was Mark Twain, or rather Samuel Clemens, who first coined that phrase, which you misquoted, but only semantically, so I won't press the issue.

And while I doubt it will even be worth my time to tell you as my credibility in this matter is questionable at best, I confess to you that I hold virtually the same stance on life and death before eruption that I did after. Certain details have changed, but being an advocate of thanatos has not.

As for your charming malignant brain tumor example, I will give you only what you expect. It is within the nature of any living creature to prolong it's life as long as it can. If I had a malignant brain tumor, I'd want to live and I'd do what I can to get it removed.

I also wouldn't expect you all to help me. And up until the day I was cured or killed, I'd live every day spectacularly well.

And I'm not heartless, Hemorrhage. I just see the big picture.

.ronin

Fascinating that Utopia hasn't cured Hemophillia yet. Perhaps the disease isn't 'sexy' enough for them.

Isaac, I used to do a little work on gene therepies among other things. I focused on those genetic conditions ignored by Utopia. Came up with about a dozen useful and proven products. This was before I made the realization that baseline society had to be responsible for its own salvation. But, each and every time I released on of these 'miracle cures' they were seized by Utopia. Fact is, I did a little work on Hemophillia, I'd offer you my notes but some nice men with Utopian Badges carted them away in their last raid at the NextStep Research Facility.

Maybe if you ask them very nicely, they would turn them over. I wouldn't mind. And, they being Utopia, I'm sure would want only to help you.

This is my first post.

My name is Melinda and I'm a nova working in medical research and that's all I'm sayiong for now.

Hemorrhage,

I'm not a Haemotologist but I am a geneticist. I've done some work with Recessive Genetic Disorders and I'll happily send it to you since Haemophillia is itself a recessive gene as you know. It ought to be possible to treat it with gene therapy has as happened with CF. It's about time someone other than Triton cured something.

Ronin:

2 points.

a: in her own mispelt way Sandy is right. The population rise has slowed to a trickle and is about to start falling... it already has in some areas of the world.

b: Human genetic diversity is currently 0.02% and falling. That means that between the 2 most genetically diverse humans on the planet there is only 0.02% difference in their entire genome. If humans were counted as animals by naturalists they'd be considered genetically endangered inspite of their numbers because they lack the diversity to respond to any novel enviromental stress. Quite frankly the big picture is that inspite of its numbers the human race is in danger of extinction because its losing its ability to adapt. Preserving genetic diversity by allowing these children to reach adulthood and breed isn't a threat to the species overall survival it's a necessity because no gene is an island and they are probably carrying other genes which may be lost if they don't.

I won't explain further unless you ask because this is not the place to discuss concepts like genetic linkage and drift.

Melinda

1) The figures on Sub-Saharan Africa are sketchy, at best.

2) The long term effects of Uopia's terraforming projects have yet to be felt.

3) Look for the reverse bubble-burst. China especially is looking for a massive resurgeance in population. As the government becomes less economically oppressive, more and more middle class chinese are going to start ignoring the ban and start larger families.

In more than one society artificially forced into population control, the family unit moved toward the 'single son' syndrome. Between 1980 and 2000, the number of boys in China who lived to age 12 increased. The only way to make those numbers keep marching toward 0% population growth invovled the 'removal' of female infants. Ta-da, the number of females living to age 12 declined dramatically, so the math worked.

Since the natural trend is exactly the opposite, you can look for Chinese men to start importing brides and 'soak-up' a great deal of SE Asia's normal surplus female population.

4) Wait until all of the UN and PU work in driving down the infant mortality rates starts hitting back. It's been over a decade and all those babies they saved are just starting to reach sexual maturity.

Let's just hope they ignore thousands of years of cultural values and identity to embrace Utopias "Better Tomorrow".

After all, look how well everyone responded to the good works that the UN and the WHO did in the 1950's and '60's. More and better foodstuffs plus massive inocculation efforts. Sound familiar.

Yes, I know they are 'attempting' a more whole cloth approach, but I am waiting to see if it works.

Why has Utopia been slow to attack Genetic disorders?

Public Opinion is still opposed to "genetic modification", especially in humans. Smacks to much like supermen, I guess. Maybe the populace should take a real look around.

Of course, giving Utopia the right to say which genes are 'bad' and which ones are 'good' still leaves me a little quizzy, but then I am often accused of paranoia. Must be the Meds.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:

Of course, giving Utopia the right to say which genes are 'bad' and which ones are 'good' still leaves me a little quizzy, but then I am often accused of paranoia. Must be the Meds.
Excuse me? I'm sorry, I know I'm new here but I've read the archives just a little and I've kind of gathered that you are a moderately dangerous kind of guy. Are you saying that you are currently on meds? Like, crazy guy meds?

Shit.
eekeekeek

Yes, let walk to beat of uber alis Utopia, and the great SS leader Pax.Utopia dosen't owe the world a damned thing,and they have done more good than say IBM,AT@tE Doe chemicials, what about Forisep, Bowing, and BMW? Did any of these companies do anythign that was not for the bottum line?

Now, are any of you out here ranting about Utopia. Doe dosen't make chemicals to help the needy. It made around 80% napalm used by US armed forces,that kill in the countless thousands.Do you rant about that?But becuase Utopia dosen't cure everything,they are evil?

I do not agree with the idea they shoudl not work on way to cure these sorts fo things, butdo not mistake good deads as a sign saying "we are saints".They can only do so much, Maybe Utopia is finding a cure for these things now.Or maybe Utopia dosen't have the man(nova) power to do so.Then agian, they may feel that there are more important things, like stoping a war,dealing with radicals who want to nuke cities.It has happened before.

Now I am willing to help in this good man's goals but I am not willing to say that utopia should be prefect.And your aniti-Utopia propagnda should stop.It is one thing to point out real flaws in characters, it is another to sling mud.What was it that a dervies agent do, that's right two days ago, one killed 50 odd people with one of his fire ballls...Are you yelling for Devries to stop killing?

Sandy: There are of course plenty of organisations less benign than Utopia, but what people here are complaining about, in this case, as I read it, is that Utopia is actively blocking the efforts of others. See Mr Meehan's post above for a good example.

Another ting that reeks of just a bit or a hundred bits of too much coincidence is how Utopia/Triton happen to come up with a new cure at just the exact time when they need a big popularity boost. The cures work so I guess it is just a question about (deliberate) timing.

I would not be surprised to see Utopia successfully deal with Dr Banta's problem in record time, but at a time of their choosing.

Also, bear in mind that Utopia again and again claim to be the good guys, here to save humanity and fix all problems.

Didn't mean to scare you, Gerald. No, I am not on any medication. Thank you for your concern.

In case you think I am anti-Utopia, I'm not. With the power they have, Project Utopia has done a world of good and done relatively little to abuse that power.

Also, I never expected them to be saints. After all, saints are famous dead people who usually died messy deaths as martyrs. You can't make a better tomorrow when your star performers keep getting killed off. It is simple mathematics.

Personally, I am philisophically opposed to taking care of anyone on a unilateral basis. I think that you help the best when you help the least, or, better yet, when you help others help themselves.

Yes, that means people die in horrible ways.

Yes, it is an ugly way to look at life.

I also understand that it is nearly impossible for an organization as big as Utopia to work in this manner. I don't hold it against them (too much).

Me, I think the real sinister party here is PeaceKeepers Inc.. Oh, yeah. They pretend to protect people and do good works, but what is really going on here? Huh? It seems to me that someone is amassing their own private nova army. Behind it all is this diabolical Swiss banker chic. Don't you see it? None of us are safe. Soon, we will all need to be protected and they will just step in and take over. It's daycare all over again. Aaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!

(Sorry, but I just had to make a tiny dig at Sandy.)

(See. No meds today and I'm just fine!)

Oh the peacekeeper, eh?Um you mean the people who are like DeVries, minus the free form killing squads they send out?The people who make none leathal weapons,and make non leathal plans to sole life threating problems?Yes Fear those who bring in peace,, and hail those who harlad war.

Remeber the peacekeeper woould not have need for hiring novas if there weren't groop like Devries....

Jager, would you help someone who was shot in the chest?Or how about this, would you save ten people's lives the only way you be knowing that one of those people was using you wile the rest were trying to help themsleves but fell on to hard times?

The lives and let live ideal is iffy at best,as it prasumes that life is fair...

No, Sandy. I help people using my own criteria and in my own way. I never presume life is fair, because I know better.

My crack about Peacekeepers was a joke, okay?

Just in case, though:

Yes, I would help the person with a chest wound. I recieved excellent paramedical training at DeVries and can now readily do field operations anywhere this side of organ replacement (ain't being a nova grand?).

If I could save those ten people, I would. The question is a bit vague, though. The one person using me is irrelevant at that moment, though we will 'chat' later. I am not in the habit of letting others suffer for one dumbass's mistake. It wouldn't be fair.

I personally don’t care about the sinister political motivation of any of the aforementioned organizations. All I care about right now is getting the funding we need to keep our research project running. So I can continue to treat a variety of genetic disorders that those who suffer from them don’t have the time, resources, or skill to treat. It’s not my place to point fingers or sling around rumors about any organization or person. All I want to do is help these people and in turn help myself.

That’s right, I’ll admit it. My driving force here is to cure myself. Does that make me wicked person, a selfish individual? Maybe. But the person pointing that finger probably hasn’t ever unassed the couch and made a contribution other than there $5.00 a year to the United Way. I’m in the game, not just sitting on the sidelines rambling off cop-outs why I won't try.

Let me know when is most convenient for you and I'll drive right down. I don't have much on my schedule, so anytime is good for me. I heard a rumor that the band Geryon's Daughter might be playing in Cincy soon and I would love to catch them, so I might be there anyways.

Amen, Banta. There ain't no driving force in the world quite like enlightened self interest.

I'll tell you what; a friend of mine recently passed on and left me a chunk of money in exchange for a jacket he ruined once when we met on a job. Not a fortune or anything but I'll make you a deal with a couple of conditions. In exchange for your acceptance and adherance to those conditions I'll sign over everything he gave me - the whole ten million dollars - to be used so long as you abide by the conditions. Renege on the conditions and there won't even be a memory left of your facility.

Interested?

Sandy.

To answer the question you posed to Jager, I would say 'Depends'. The one person with the chest wound or the ten people who's lives I could save would receive my aid on the condition that I thought that they were worth saving.

Yes, that's a totally biased, one-sided value judgement on the part of a lone individual. Tough. If someone wants my help, they had better damn well show me they're worth of receiving it.

Hemorrhage.

Your point about getting off your ass and helping is a little moot with me, and don't think I don't know where that pointed little comment was aimed.

Even if I did have two nickels to rub together -- which I don't -- I would not blindly give them away to someone I did not know.

Conversely, if one of your patients who I thought was a decent, worthwhile individual who did good things for the world came to me and asked me for, say, one of my kidneys, I would genuinely be happy to oblige.

.ronin

Ronin

Once again ronin you cannot see the forest through the trees (I’m not sure of the origins of this quote so I’m genuinely interested to see your reply). The comment about getting off the sidelines and into the game was not direct at you but, at the populace in general. There is a sense of apathy that permeates our society. Most people are far too willing to take the “It’s not my problem” stance on anything that does not directly affect them, even more so since the institution of organizations like the Aeon Society and Project Utopia. But the problem lies in the very fact that they can’t do everything and they can’t be everywhere. So sometimes average Joe’s like myself have to get involved and try and take up the slack. And sometimes we need a little help from the other average or not so average Joe’s. Also, if you’ll look at my original request I don’t want your money. I’ll I asked for was a little time and assistance. About your response to Miss Fortune’s question. You’ve already made your value judgement about these kids without even taking the time to meet them.

I don’t care if you like me. Your personal opinion of me only matters if it is going to hinder your willingness to meet and evaluate these needy youths. If that is case, I’ll happily fly to Mexico for a week just to be out of your hair so you can stop by the hospital and give them your worthiness seal of approval or not.

Let's frist deal with unplest thing. Ronin, what your views are clear,and are not worth my time debaiting,please do not respond to things I ask others.If i asked everyone it would be tolrable that you anwsered.I asked Jager as he put an interesting point of view to me,a dn iw as testign what he really thought.

Jager, about the peaceKeeper, they are family to me.When you talk of Madeline DreyFfuss in such a manor,well she is a varry closse friend to me.I left not becuase I no longer think I fit in, but because I could no longer work within a company with out my love.It was too painful to work with out him, this part of reason I hate Devries. That crazed german was hired to kill a ceo of a company what I was gaurd..The Ceo was going to relese a marketing plan that would have change opnet on a level that would put some rich people into the pour house..But that is not he point.THe point is I have a lot of bad blood with Devries,and as I said it is not about any one preson,other than those who have done bad things...

Now docotor Banta ,I think I have good news for you, one, one of my nefews islooking for a research job in your feild.He is freashly out of med school.U.C.Berkly I think, well never mind that, the point is he would gladly work for you.

And I would gladly let my broker set up aacount for your funding.THis way you can make money your self,and not depend on hand outs.I will put the starting money.My broker will take his fees,and I will take say 15% of the profite from this acount.Um if this sounds to kind I could buy into your company and be a silent partern.We coudl talk of details if you wish that,and the only thing I ask you is that you do you work the best you can,and maye do a little studying of my blood.It is not right.You do not have to hire my newfew, buttit would make me happy.Still if you do not I will treat you just the same.

Hemorrhage.

I like you just fine. I don't know where you got the impression I don't. I thought I made it clear in my first post to you that while I simply do not agree with your point of view, I think you're a decent, noble person with good intentions, and I wish nothing but the best for you and yours.

I also just happen to disagree with you. It has long been my wont to play the part of Devil's Advocate in many matters, this included. My personal opinion on this matter is fairly moot. I merely offered you another point of view. Not to deter you, mind you. Just to get you thinking about the future and where these efforts of yours are headed.

I also don't make value judgements about children. Children are incapable of being held accountable for much of their behavior. That's why we have rites of passage concerning adulthood. That's why Buddhists don't hold people to karma until they're thirteen.

As I said, I wish you nothing but the best, Hemorrhage. I hope you find some way to cure even yourself. You certainly seem to have the ambition. Best of luck.

Sandy.

I will comply, m'lady. But only because you asked so nicely, ma'am. Only because you asked.

.ronin

I must admit that I am intrigued Dr. Banta.

First, are you a nova? It does't matter to many, but it matters to me.

Secondly, are you interested in non-conventional assets? Like you, to a small degree, I am in the people business and the health of the baseline population is a concern for me. I could arrange some conjoint research facilities. I must warn you, this may cause you some problems with Utopian oversight, though. They don't like me all that much.

Dr Melinda Thorpe

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide. I appologize about the delayed response.

ronin

Glad to know I haven't gotten on your bad side. I spend the majority of my time trying to avoid conflict of any kind and I also do not spend a lot of time around people. So it is sometimes hard to tell whether I've upset or pissed someone off.

Bastian

I am not a nova, just an average Joe baseline. Define non-conventional assets and I'll let you know whether they are of interest to me. However, I can already tell you that if what you have in mind may result in Utopia swooping down like vultures, taking my research, and incarcerating me I'll pass. But I am still open to most ventures. Give me some details and then I'll give you and answer.

Hey Dr. Banta, I just heard something that you might be interested in. I was chatting with a couple of the T2M guys and I mentioned your work, they told me that former T2M'er Firefox's little brother has hemophellia. That's one of the reasons she and Makara aren't having kids right now. The docs told her that she still is a carrier. So, she's semi-retired so she isn't as busy as the rest of T2M and she has some reason to get involved. Try to contact her. Her agent's in the book and he can forward it on to her.