Trinity Universe: Landing Time pt 2

BcAugust

(Landing 7, March 10th, 2046)

The past week has been bone wearying work, with not only the shipments from the ship, but setting up everything that hadn't been turned on yet. However, it appears the hydroponics are up, the nuclear plant is up, and the first rush is over. So, as planned, there's a celebration planned the central atrium of each dome. The communications are set up for both to share the viewing of it, and the rare store of wood has some let out to cook the meat and vegetables in the various manners the groups have.

The atrium itself, with the stone paths and circle, formed of Martian soil, are surrounded by the fast growing green grass, and a few started seedling trees, still tiny within their circles of bare dirt and circled stones. Red stone tables hold the food, the various scents filling the air and cleaning out the scent of circulated air with new ones. While there's only 87 people here, it seems much more after the cramped quarters of the ships.

(Some NPCs will be detailed in another thread. However, if there's one in particular, feel free to add on that you're talking to and bracket a description at the end of your post.)

Jack has worked hard over the last week, mostly as a laborer. Picking things up, moving them, then putting them down, if it bothers him he hasn’t said so. He’s attempted to work with and/or meet everyone, including and especially the ones who didn’t agree with him. His most frequent question has been “what do you think…?” Today it’s time to start taking steps to nudge the colony down the right path.

Jack goes looking for Hawk. (Assuming he finds him)

“Yo! Hawk, I understand you’re trying to organize a newspaper?”

(To him and anyone else he finds) “I think it high time we gave our domes real names, yes? If not cities, they are certainly towns.”

Finally managing to disattach herself from a small army of would-be suitors, mostly fellow Spacedogs, Haneul happened upon Jack and Russel just in time to here their discussion about the domes.

Her curiosity aroused she said, "'Uniquely Martian names'? How so?"

"We could always name a dome after Haim. Then again, we might want to see how good a governor he makes before we go naming things after him. Besides, if you're looking to weasel more money out of Earth, making them work for the honor of a dome name will get a lot more out of them."

Jack replies,

"Raffling off a name does has a certain appeal. But we need them. They do not need us. New York was named after the then King of France in the 15 hundreds, then renamed after the Duke of York when he captured it... because naming it after your lord worked. There's also the tactic of giving something an attractive name to attract people. Combining those methods... New California?"

Haneul arched one eyebrow and looked at Jack incredulously, "New...California? Why, what's so special about California?"
Jack says,

"It's popular, big, rich, and tend setting. It has perfect weather to the point that people move there by the millions, and we need people. It has lots of important people and is much beloved by the media, and it has lots of electoral votes and is therefore much loved by the political types."

"In short, it's a perfect name for us. We don't want a name like Death Valley or Ice Cube City, we want a name that implies perfect weather, lots of money, people, and votes. A name that implies 'move here and get rich quick.' A name that stresses both our frontier background and future world class status."

Jack says,

"It's popular, big, rich, and tend setting. It has perfect weather to the point that people move there by the millions, and we need people. It has lots of important people and is much beloved by the media, and it has lots of electoral votes and is therefore much loved by the political types."

"In short, it's a perfect name for us. We don't want a name like Death Valley or Ice Cube City, we want a name that implies perfect weather, lots of money, people, and votes. A name that implies 'move here and get rich quick.' A name that stresses both our frontier background and future world class status."

Hawk's photographer shakes his head. Vernon Pennington "In that case, I think we should name it New Oregon or Utopia. If you remember your history, we're even using the same Land grant system. Besides..." A grin, as he keeps shooting the scene. "Do we really want the kind of people who think this is an easy life?"

Hawk's photographer shakes his head. Vernon Pennington "In that case, I think we should name it New Oregon or Utopia. If you remember your history, we're even using the same Land grant system. Besides..." A grin, as he keeps shooting the scene. "Do we really want the kind of people who think this is an easy life?"

"Good point. We should come up with a name that will attract dedicated workaholics. Maybe New Plantation? Joking, of course. Oregon isn't a bad choice, after all it is a bit on the cold side up here."

Jack says,

"If they have the money to bring us supplies, then Yes, we do. Oregon's representatives don't control a sixth of congress."

Vernon raises an eyebrow at that. "You heard something I haven't?" Jack notices a few more people looking over, drawn to the conversation, though Huizhong appears to be in another conversation.
Jack gives an amused laugh and says,

"Heard something? No. But it is a tradition as old as time to name children after rich relatives. The hope is that with the name the child will get some of the relations success, and if not that, their support."

Jack gives an amused laugh and says,

"Heard something? No. But it is a tradition as old as time to name children after rich relatives. The hope is that with the name the child will get some of the relations success, and if not that, their support."

"How amusingly... Earthcentric." The man speaking has the English accent of an academic, a bizzare counterpart to the callused hands. John Devries, normally working in the plants for the dome. "More seriously, I doubt we need that much from Earth. Though if we were to name ourselves after such, New Switzerland would likely be more suited to our ideology."

Huoku Arashikage approaches the conversation, sipping hot chocolate from a steaming mug.

"If we can't be self-sufficient and survive without any support from Earth, the colony is doomed in the long term.. On the other hand, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get all the support we can, since we don't have to reach that point for quite a while."

Huoku is compact and well-dressed, a handsome Japanese man who looks focused and attentive. He smiles politely at all those assembled.

Jack says,

"What do we need from Earth? Women, Spare parts for pretty near everything, women, various biologicals, various pharmaceuticals, women, various rare earths and other minerals, processed minerals, women, and so forth."

“If we really wanted to be independent, then we’d have to be able to build everything we use, and replace everything we have within 50 years, including ourselves. Even with the other ship, our gene pool isn’t all that big, and neither is our man power. Can we build a spaceship to replace the one we got when it wears out? How about the drugs that keep us from having kids? Leather gloves? Platinum? Uranium? Rare metals for transistors? We’re pretty close to being able to replace the air that we need to breath… which only puts us way worse off than Haiti.”

“We need them. Not every day, or even every month, but for at least the next century, we aren’t going to be ready for independence.”

"No you're not," says Huoku without explanation.
"Oh really?" , says Haneul, arching one perfect eyebrow and briefly unleashing a stunning smile before changing her expression to one of mock-curiosity and saying, "Then, pray tell, what else am I?"
"What do we need from Earth? Women, Spare parts for pretty near everything, women, various biologicals, various pharmaceuticals, women, various rare earths and other minerals, processed minerals, women, and so forth."
Haneul rolls her eyes, but says nothing.

“We need them. Not every day, or even every month, but for at least the next century, we aren’t going to be ready for independence.”

"Yeah." The attractive Asian takes a long sip from his mug of hot chocolate, before shrugging to convey, "You have a point."

"Oh really?" , says Haneul, arching one perfect eyebrow and briefly unleashing a stunning smile before changing her expression to one of mock-curiosity and saying, "Then, pray tell, what else am I?"

Hawk gives the beautiful Korean a friendly, self-deprecating smile. "I didn't mean to correct you, miss. But they say everyone here is well-versed in everything the colony needs, and you don't really look like an exception."

Hawk gives the beautiful Korean a friendly, self-deprecating smile. "I didn't mean to correct you, miss. But they say everyone here is well-versed in everything the colony needs, and you don't really look like an exception."

Haneul smiles demurely, and a blush actually seems to rise to her cheeks, but her eyes never lose their playful edge.

"Why thankyou Mr. Arashikage!"

"Our gene pool? Come on man, that won't be a worry for a couple generations, and by then we'll have had a few more loads of colonists. 'Women,' as you call them. Besides, we've got the best and the brightest up here. Our gene pool has lifeguards. I don't think genetics will be our biggest worry."

"How amusingly... Earthcentric." The man speaking has the English accent of an academic, a bizzare counterpart to the callused hands. John Devries, normally working in the plants for the dome. "More seriously, I doubt we need that much from Earth. Though if we were to name ourselves after such, New Switzerland would likely be more suited to our ideology."
Jack says,

"I wouldn't mind Switzerland sending us people and materials, but I don't expect it. Independence is a wonderful dream, it’s what brought the pilgrims to New England. But we are centuries away from that, and we need every edge we can possibly get."

"Our gene pool? Come on man, that won't be a worry for a couple generations, and by then we'll have had a few more loads of colonists. 'Women,' as you call them. Besides, we've got the best and the brightest up here. Our gene pool has lifeguards. I don't think genetics will be our biggest worry."
Jack says reasonably,

"The moment we start talking about what will be coming from the Earth, we've already conceded my central point. And yes, the gene pool isn’t our most pressing concern... although I wouldn’t limit that to people. We aren’t going to find a native crop like corn that we can eat. Every species we brought with us will have it’s own genes, and one mating pair isn’t a pool."

Jack says,

"I wouldn't mind Switzerland sending us people and materials, but I don't expect it. Independence is a wonderful dream, it’s what brought the pilgrims to New England. But we are centuries away from that, and we need every edge we can possibly get."

Jack says reasonably,

"The moment we start talking about what will be coming from the Earth, we've already conceded my central point. And yes, the gene pool isn’t our most pressing concern... although I wouldn’t limit that to people. We aren’t going to find a native crop like corn that we can eat. Every species we brought with us will have it’s own genes, and one mating pair isn’t a pool."

Jack notices a few people drifting closer, though they seem divided about the argument, one rolling his eyes before jumping in. "Stick to geology, Jack. Our genetics is one thing that isn't a problem. After all, the Americas were settled in less then a thousand years with only a breeding tribe of fifty. Plus... well, I'm sure everyone here remembers the gene tests we had." Looking around, most recognize him as one of the medical staff, his specialty genetics. Djavan Costa. "And honestly, we've got a good selection in both our animal and plant stocks as well, and our equipment to make changes. Now, the rare earths..." He shows a rare smile, hand going palm up to Jack. "That, I'm not qualified to answer. But seriously, is this fearmongering really what we should be doing on such a bright day?"

Hawk notices Vernon shake his head, then do a quiet nod of his head, to indicate he's going to circle around for more pictures, unless you want something else.

He shows a rare smile, hand going palm up to Jack. "That, I'm not qualified to answer. But seriously, is this fearmongering really what we should be doing on such a bright day?"

"Indeed."

Those turning towards the new voice find that the day just got even brighter, as the colony's CMO enters the gathering area. Angelic is not enough to describe Javier Luciano. Medium, straight black hair falls down around chisled cheekbones . His tanned medditerranean skin contrast with smouldering blue eyes gazing out from his bangs. In fact, he exudes so much tangible presence and raw animal attraction that he would be downright intimidating if it werent for the softspoken grace with which he comports himself. Even so, the measured quality of that same softness belies the power it flows from.

"We should be celebrating, not bickering. Here we get to make history..."

He begins helping himself to a plate of food.

Haneul winks at Jack and gives him a playful nudge on the shoulder.

"Us foreigners always seem to gang up on you poor Americans don't we?" she says with an expression of mock-sympathy and hurt on her face. Then she brightens up visibly and leans in conspiratorily with a mischievous grin, so close that her lips are practically brushing against Jack's ear (which is not only very distracting, it's also quite possibly the most pleasant experience of Jack's night so far ::wink ), and whispers breathily, "Don't worry Mr. Stone, they were just covering for the fact that none of them have any good ideas for names either. They'll come around eventually, and someone will decide on a name. Probably act like it was all their idea too." Then she straightens and sighs dramatically as if to say What can you do?, and begins walking towards the tables of food. Looking over her shoulder she says, "Pleasure talking to you, Mr. Stone."

Once she's gotten herself a plate, Haneul will home in on the first conversation she comes across that sounds either technically-oriented, or pilot-oriented, in the hopes of getting all the latest news on what sort of engineering or piloting duties she's likely to be assigned over the next few weeks.

"Us foreigners always seem to gang up on you poor Americans don't we?" she says with an expression of mock-sympathy and hurt on her face. Then she brightens up visibly and leans in conspiratorily with a mischievous grin, so close that her lips are practically brushing against Jack's ear (which is not only very distracting, it's also quite possibly the most pleasant experience of Jack's night so far ::wink ), and whispers breathily, "Don't worry Mr. Stone, they were just covering for the fact that none of them have any good ideas for names either. They'll come around eventually, and someone will decide on a name. Probably act like it was all their idea too." Then she straightens and sighs dramatically as if to say What can you do?, and begins walking towards the tables of food. Looking over her shoulder she says, "Pleasure talking to you, Mr. Stone."

Jack winks back and says,

"I think both of us had fun." ::sly

((Sex Symbol On))

Once she's gotten herself a plate, Haneul will home in on the first conversation she comes across that sounds either technically-oriented, or pilot-oriented, in the hopes of getting all the latest news on what sort of engineering or piloting duties she's likely to be assigned over the next few weeks.

"Well, hmph," Russell says while picking at the food on his plate. "I don't remember you contributing any better ideas. Or did you just join the conversation to be difficult?"

"Well, hmph," Russell says while picking at the food on his plate. "I don't remember you contributing any better ideas. Or did you just join the conversation to be difficult?"

Haneul gives a little smile and says, "Why, to be difficult of course! What's the matter, were you feeling left out?"

He begins helping himself to a plate of food.

Djavan smiles over. "Finally got done with the cell samples?"

Jack winks back and says,

"I think both of us had fun." ::sly

((Sex Symbol On))

Jack notices Lucas turning away when Jack walks away from the convesation, almost like he'd been listening, but he also notices Huizhong looking slightly truimphic, as she fills her plate.

Haneul gives a little smile and says, "Why, to be difficult of course! What's the matter, were you feeling left out?"

"Well, I should have known just from the looks of you that you were a trouble maker. Obviously spoiled rotten." Russell narrows his eyes and sticks out his tongue at Haneul, then turns and walks away to find someplace to sit. As he's walking away, he mutters loudly enough for Haneul to overhear, "Women these days, thinking they can get away with anything if they're pretty enough...."

"Well, I should have known just from the looks of you that you were a trouble maker. Obviously spoiled rotten." Russell narrows his eyes and sticks out his tongue at Haneul, then turns and walks away to find someplace to sit.

Completely unfazed, Haneul says, "Oh, obviously!"

As he's walking away, he mutters loudly enough for Haneul to overhear, "Women these days, thinking they can get away with anything if they're pretty enough...."

Watching Russel go, she mutters back, "we were acting this way looonng before now kiddo, take it from me...", though she says this quietly enough that it's questionable whether Russel hears her or not.

And, frankly, Haneul doesn't care.

Well at least he thinks I'm 'pretty'...

With a plate of food in hand, she watches the gathering and keeps an ear out for a conversation that involves flying or building things that fly. (Failing that, she'll look for another political conversation to disrupt and contribute nothing to ::tongue )

Djavan smiles over. "Finally got done with the cell samples?"

Javier rolls his eyes at nothing.

"Finally, indeed! One of the power couplings was faulty and we almost lost a refrigeration unit. Fixed it though...crisis averted..."

"...So whats going on here? Things sounded a bit heated when i walked in..."

((OOC...how many people are here? 300 families worth? A cross section? Are the PCs the only Inspired (and thus stick out more)? Do any of us know each other? trying to find an in to PC conversation without contriving it from wholecloth...))

Javier rolls his eyes at nothing.

"Finally, indeed! One of the power couplings was faulty and we almost lost a refrigeration unit. Fixed it though...crisis averted..."

"...So whats going on here? Things sounded a bit heated when i walked in..."

((OOC...how many people are here? 300 families worth? A cross section? Are the PCs the only Inspired (and thus stick out more)? Do any of us know each other? trying to find an in to PC conversation without contriving it from wholecloth...))

(OOC: From the first post, there are 87 people here. All of you know each other, just most not well. While the PCs aren't the only inspired, quite a few of you have attention grabbing personalities, and you likely know Russell fairly well from working with you.)

Djavan shakes his head. "Jack is pushing for names for the domes. He wants American ones, of course." A shrug. "What can I say?"

Haneul, wandering around, sees a grouping of fellow pilots, but before she gets there, she sees Lucas invite her over, as he continues his conversation with Huizhong.

Lucas's voice "Now, I quite agree on your point in general, but our pilots have been getting good practice at up and down flights."

Huizhong replies, a slight smile at Huizhong "However, I am slightly worried about the oxygen levels of the flights. I heard that we're not getting full tanks for the upward flight."

Russel easily finds a spot to sit, though the lack of a breeze is obvious here, the scent of the food very appetizing, especially since there's unlikely to be fuel for open fires for years. A few people say hi, most just wandering off to enjoy after a bit. One of the unattached females, Sharon Anglos, does ask about Izzy.

Jack notices Lucas turning away when Jack walks away from the convesation, almost like he'd been listening, but he also notices Huizhong looking slightly truimphic, as she fills her plate.
Jack also fills his plate, and 'accidently' walking in the same direction as Huizhong asks in an easy and friendly manner,

"What do you think?"

Haneul, wandering around, sees a grouping of fellow pilots, but before she gets there, she sees Lucas invite her over, as he continues his conversation with Huizhong.

Lucas's voice "Now, I quite agree on your point in general, but our pilots have been getting good practice at up and down flights."

Huizhong replies, a slight smile at Huizhong "However, I am slightly worried about the oxygen levels of the flights. I heard that we're not getting full tanks for the upward flight."

As always, Haneul feels a clenching in her gut when she looks into Lucas's eyes. Whenever he's near, she always comes this close to shouting, Why don't you remember?!

But she never does, because even if he doesn't remember (and she's almost certain that he does...), she has no one to blame but herself. And she fears him remembering too. Haneul can't help but wonder what would happen to her if those in authority actually knew....

As she approaches Lucas and HuiZhong, Haneul's attitude is entirely different than it had been during the conversation about the domes. Gone is the flirtateous, youthful energy that she displayed before, likewise the contrary sarcasm. Their absence reveals a startling maturity in Haneul that reminds anyone watching that Haneul is actually supposed to be 40 years old. Looking at Haneul, this fact makes no sense in a person's brain. Like the wrong sides of two different magnets, they won't stick. The facts say that she's nearly twice as old as some here on the station, but most peoples' brains (after reviewing the evidence presented to them by the eyes) are quite adamant in their opinion that she must be one of the youngest colonists here. And Haneul's normal attitude does little to help rectify this confusing situation.

At the moment however, Haneul is not acting normal, and to Jack (who is closest) it might almost seem like looking through a window in time. For an instant, there is a sense that Lucas and Haneul have both come here to Mars, not just from another planet, but from another era as well. For a moment they look old...

But only for a moment. Then it's obvious there's just some kind of history there, and it's coloring the perceptions. A trick of the light, if you will.

However she feels inside, Haneul appears as calm as a lake in winter on the outside as she approaches the conversation between Lucas and HuiZhong. "Lucas. HuiZhong." , she says, her tone all business, but with a smile on her lips, "What are we discussing exactly?"

Jack also fills his plate, and 'accidently' walking in the same direction as Huizhong asks in an easy and friendly manner,

"What do you think?"

Huizhong seems slightly distracted, by the conversation with Lucas as she returns, though a small smile, and a voice pitched not to overhear. "They do seem annoying sure they don't need Earth, don't they?" A pause, then louder. "Well, we could always go with Peking or New Shangai." A sense of humor showing as she returns to Lucas's area.

However she feels inside, Haneul appears as calm as a lake in winter on the outside as she approaches the conversation between Lucas and HuiZhong. "Lucas. HuiZhong." , she says, her tone all business, but with a smile on her lips, "What are we discussing exactly?"

Lucas smiles at her, his eyes meeting hers for just a second, before speaking. "Sorry to pull you from the party, but Huizhong here just brought the fact there seems to be an oxygen leak on the shuttles. I thought you might have a better idea what's going on."

Archived