BcAugust

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for the delays, power outages here. Ah, winter.

And yes, it's a total of 55 bonus points + 13 transformation points. I am sorry I wasn't that clear. And no, knacks are as said.

What is the reasoning behind the knack limit? Some Novas use "mental powers" while some use probabilty powers. Some use both. The Adventure limits dont take into account that Novas are in theory capable of anything, and that many Nova concepts dont fit into nice little Adventure categories.

Which actually brings me to my next question.

What is the reality level of your series? IE, are mesmerists with telepathic abilities common, or are they unknown? What about someone with the likes of flame conjuration or the evil eye? Obviously daredevils can fit into a modern setting but what of Stalwarts with Aetheric Vision, or man of many faces? In other words, are such "superpowers" known? And are they really superpowers, or must we explain them in tech terms like cyberware or nanotech?

What is the reasoning behind the knack limit? Some Novas use "mental powers" while some use probabilty powers. Some use both. The Adventure limits dont take into account that Novas are in theory capable of anything, and that many Nova concepts dont fit into nice little Adventure categories.

Which actually brings me to my next question.

What is the reality level of your series? IE, are mesmerists with telepathic abilities common, or are they unknown? What about someone with the likes of flame conjuration or the evil eye? Obviously daredevils can fit into a modern setting but what of Stalwarts with Aetheric Vision, or man of many faces? In other words, are such "superpowers" known? And are they really superpowers, or must we explain them in tech terms like cyberware or nanotech?

Knack limit is for a couple of reasons. One, when you do get a chance to open up as novas, it gives the game a bigger feeling. Two, I notice that people tend to cherrypick certain knacks, and I wanted a fair bit more variety then you get with just throwing them open.

On the reality level... *shrugs* You can, if you wish, explain your knacks as cyberware or bioengineering. However, almost all of them show up in the population, just at very low levels. (For instance, there are people who have versions of Aetheric vision in "our" world. It's just one in every million or so, and it's not trained. Or people who can do a fairly good job of reading minds... though mostly that's a result of coldreading skills). Of course, if someone has the higher level of some skills or knacks, they might want to have kept them hidden simply to avoid being lab rats.

Okay, natch. Very cool...so its just that there are certain "extraordinary" talents out there. BTW, out of curiosity, what is meant by the term "cherrypicking?" ::confused

*blinks* Um, it's used to refer to picking out the best parts, or the most effective. Kind of like only taking, say, medical studies that support your view and ignoring others. Not really sure of the origin of the word.

It's old and is used in sports, economics, and lots of other fields. Your definition was pretty good.

Usually, but not always, cherrypicking has negative implications. A salesman who unfairly picks the best clients, leaving the others for other salesmen. Someone generating statistics by selecting some instances and ignoring the others.

On the other hand if you are actually picking cherries (or otherwise shopping), then picking out only the best and leaving the others is a good thing. In basketball it refers to someone who hangs around his basket, even when the man he should be guarding is at the other end (if the team is doing this delibrately then they pair a high scorer with someone who isn't). Then his team can throw the ball down to him for an easy score.

*blinks* Um, it's used to refer to picking out the best parts, or the most effective. Kind of like only taking, say, medical studies that support your view and ignoring others. Not really sure of the origin of the word.

Thats funny...I subscribe to the complete effectiveness school of chargen. In other words, why wouldn't you want to pick the best parts??? Or the most effective. I certainly aspire to never make an ineffective character...As in RL, inefficiency is wastful and needless...

...Im going to go pick and eat some cherries now. The best I can find.

!

Okay, given the response I've gotten... I'll be temporary closing the character creation on Wednesday Feb 28th, to start the game on Friday March 2nd. If anyone else wants to join, IM me or post on the character creation thread. Also, everyone who's gotten approval or partial approval, please post at least a summary in the character creation thread, so people can see what we have so far.

I know that this is a little old, but I just had to post my opinion about this setting. That opinion is: This is completely cool. :)

I am so glad that you posted it for it provides so many ideas and campaign possibilities.

While I would be interested in playing in such a game, certain real life situations make that impossible. (Not only that but I also find myself more of a fan of GMing than I do playing.)

So because of my very much like of this idea, I wanted to ask something. Would it be possible for me to see the notes that you have on it. I won't share it with your players, but I would like to think about them as this is a very very nice setting.

Once again, very nice. I wish you luck in the game.

Heru

Gunnery : I hope not.

Heavy Weapons : Ditto.

Artillery : Ditto.

Hello...! These all fit under the heading of Rocket Science! Especially if you're working with remotely guided supply pods - artillery/gunnery. It's all about kicking a payload from point A to point B and getting it on target - especially hard if it's going to take two years for the pods to get there. You have to know where to send the pods so once they've completed their two year trip they're ready to fall into orbit around Mars and not be drifting off into empty space.

A very helpful skill for your space dogs and military. (a lot of your pilots will be military or ex-military)

I so wish I had seen this thread sooner! :( *digs out adventure pdf in hopes he can get a character in quickly enough to get accepted*

Eeep! Me too! *sigh* I may have to scrounge.

Archived