BcAugust

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Death defiance hit me as the hardest one to transfer over as well.

1) Well, that's certainly possible. I'm still thinking it over.

2) I'm not familiar with NIhonjin Stalwarts? Source?

3) VR robots and the like are certainly there. Admittedly, most of the tech is built more to take punishment rather then fancy electronics, but most of that is possible. I have to admit, I'm not fond of Q-construct myself, though that weakness might make it possible.

4) I thought I said above that I would? I just like the Adventure! Concept and Nature system a lot better.

5) Yeah, that is one of the reasons for the idea coming up. Thanks for the support.

Superiors are found in Asia Ascendant, an unreleased yet official sourcebook for Trinity. I believe you may find it in the download section here at the boards.

Also, you missed my question (I didnt have it numbered, sorry.) about if our concepts in Nova terms have to be direct ports of Knacks. As I said, I have an idea I think could be really fun, but its not really based on knacks and such...in fact I may only goe for 1 or 2 knacks if any.

I'll PM you my idea but I just wanted to let everyone know that the idea is the most recent one I was having trouble being satisfied with 30 NPs. I would just like to say, that I made a 30 point version I am happy with, given the low powered start of the game. I guess it can be done. ::blush

What I need to know though in this case, is if I can use option 2. That is refund the Inspiration points and start from scratch.. Mind you the concept IC will stay the same...those two knacks will convert quite nicely actually, but I would like to take it a step further (conceptually). Full details soon but I am curious.

The last I heard was stadard pre-nova, 25 Bonus points (merits/flaws?) and 13 Adventure-level Inspiration points. Then Erupting with 15. I still might find a way to *really* slim down to 15 but I just finally figured out the 30 point version. Of course it then begs the question, why start with knacks and Inspiration and transformation points at all if we are just going to get rid of them? One reason would be that a signifigant portion of the campaign will be Adventure level and the PCs wont erupt for quite sometime.

Im not really sure....could you explain this part better for me?

No, the idea is, Adventure!(Abberant stat levels, Adventure concepts and Natures, knacks) +40 bonus and 13 inspiration. Then likely a direct as possible translation to Nova terms +15 nova points after a couple of arcs. Does that make it clearer?

I'll have to look at the book, but I'll likely limit things to the Main book and Player's guide. I'd have to see your concept, by the by, to see, though I'm not accepting anything yet before I get some of the world down.

As for using number 2... hmm, I'd really need to see. I'd like everyone's characters to use the same system for the changeover, and most votes have been for the first.

No, the idea is, Adventure!(Abberant stat levels, Adventure concepts and Natures, knacks) +40 bonus and 13 inspiration. Then likely a direct as possible translation to Nova terms +15 nova points after a couple of arcs. Does that make it clearer?

Yes, thank you, much. I think its doable. So should I hold off on that PM or not? ::biggrin

Another question...Does the Inspiration pool convert to Quantum? INspiration is cheaper than Quantum, so maybe on a 2-1 scale?

Also you said earlier that you can buy only +1 Quantum with bonus points. So If I wanted 4, I would need to buy 2 with NPs later...is this correct or am I misunderstanding?

Okay nevermind...I went back and read the part about Superiors in AsAs, and they are daredevils...the probability manipulating paramorph version. They are cool though so maybe if some people wanted to go the daredvil route you'ld still consider them Plus, they can get cool cyber-stuff! :mach4b:

Okay nevermind...I went back and read the part about Superiors in AsAs, and they are daredevils...the probability manipulating paramorph version. They are cool though so maybe if some people wanted to go the daredvil route you'ld still consider them Plus, they can get cool cyber-stuff! :mach4b:
Except he doesn't have Trinity, and that "cool tech", including Superiors themselves, may come from a different timeline and/or the future.
most votes have been for the first.
Raises hand.

The real question for conversion is what to do with Knacks.

At the two extremes:

Sexy is Mega-App (Seductive Looks) (or maybe better)

A Single Bound is Q-Leap (without any other part of Mega-Str).

Solutions:

1) Disallow the purchase of imperfectly-translateable knacks.

2) Translate them into enhancements without the Mega (which raises other problems, like what happens if someone doesn't buy the mega, or there's a few Knacks that are the mega without enhancements, and then Sexy really is both.)

3) Translate them and upgrade them. I.e. "Bound" becomes M-Str(Q-Leap).

She, by the way.

And yeah, was pretty much thinking Translate and Upgrade. It does make it trickier for the starting conversion, but should give some pretty good results.

As for Tech... I'm not going to go into exact details on a lot of stuff, but there's three considerations I'm using.

1) Lack of Oil: Not only for the development of alternate energy tech(Solar and Nuclear), but lack of plastics. Most materials you're likely to be working with are silicon(especially glass), metal, or biodegradable plastics and the like.

2) Environmental concerns: While not "card carrying hippies", these people are aware of the effects their actions have on the world. Note this is also a sub theme in the campaign.

3) Durability: Okay, you guys don't have the latest equipment. The design for the current robots set up is about 25 years out of date, while the equipment brought with you is more "advanced", the theme was more what you could troubleshoot out on Mars with the facilities there.

Tech you do have: 4th-gen Nuclear reactors and Solar films. Light based computers(Quantum computers being the holy grail of computers for the last 50 years). 3d printers. Medical advances in bioengineering and disease control. Advanced robotics, that can be run from VR or programmed routines. Hibernation tech. (Not cryosleep, but it does enable a drop to 10% oxygen intake and metabolism) Communications with earth(Though both released Satellites and the first ship acting as a space station for the moment.(Uplinks to send and receive messages either takes a Backing of at least 3, or Resources 3, most of the satellite time is reserved for scientific information on both sides.)

On Knacks...

Death Defiance, Navigation Hazard, One Man Army, Untouchable, Evil Eye, Mad Scientist, and Sensory Filtering seem to be the ones hardest to translate directly. Thoughts on those? On the other hand, given in the game that I'm in you can occasionally buy enhancements without the Stat(costed as Level one Powers), I'd likely transfer knacks to proper enhancements/stats/powers, but let the decision to buy the underlying Stat to the player(One advantage of such, is that if you buy the Mega-Stat, you get a different enhancement as your "free" power)

RE: Mad Scientist

=> Mega-Int: Mental Prodigy: Scientific (or Engineering)

RE: Sensory Filtering

=> Mega-Perception & Sensory Shield

RE: Death Defiance

=> Teleport

RE: Navigation Hazard

Umm....

RE: One Man Army

=> Quick

RE: Untouchable

=> Armor (or Armor + Superheavy)

RE: Evil Eye

=> Disorient

I suggest simply banning Nav-Hazard.

*chuckles* Death Defiance being teleport is an out of the box idea.

Yeah, don't see any reason to have Navigation Hazard in the environment, so... *strikes off*

So, given this would otherwise be a short post, first thoughts on Allegiance

Minerva Foundation: The main group, who have the goal of seeing Mars become Earth 2. Suggested Backgrounds: Resources, Influence, Gadget.

Governmental(USA, Chinese, Brazil, other): People selected to make sure that things don't go too outlaw, most have become infected with the enthusiasm of the others. Usually in positions of leadership. Suggested Backgrounds: Backing, Influence.

Dreamers Incorporated: Behind the joke name, this grouping of computer programmers, artists and social scientists have a serious side. These are the people looking over new ideas of how humanity can change as a society, how Mars can turn out better then Earth. Ranging from Utopian idealists to transhumanists to people who see Atlantis as a goal, this group tends to be the ones that make other people think. Suggested Backgrounds: Contacts, Reputation.

Spacedogs: While a small group, they have a standing above their numbers. The pilots for the space shuttle, the people staying up on the ship to correct things, the far explorers of Mars, the one thing all of them have in common is a love for flight... and the hope that they can go further out, exploring the solar system... and eventually, the universe. Backgrounds: Reputation, Gadget.

How soon can we expect full details on char gen? Id like to know if my idea will work...

As soon as people start replying to the world descriptions if they like the ideas or not? It does take a while to set up a game world, especially when it's non-canon, and I like to get an idea of what strikes people as usable or not so much so.

So far, we've got a good starting point, and the start of a conversion table going. So, before I'm ready to throw it into a character creation document.. I'd like a couple more allegiance ideas, an idea of how strict the categories they want to start with job wise, or if anyone has a problem with my tech ideas yet, or if they'd like to see some more tech, plus putting up a timeline for Earth.

As soon as people start replying to the world descriptions if they like the ideas or not? It does take a while to set up a game world, especially when it's non-canon, and I like to get an idea of what strikes people as usable or not so much so.

So far, we've got a good starting point, and the start of a conversion table going. So, before I'm ready to throw it into a character creation document.. I'd like a couple more allegiance ideas, an idea of how strict the categories they want to start with job wise, or if anyone has a problem with my tech ideas yet, or if they'd like to see some more tech, plus putting up a timeline for Earth.

Well, for jobs, I would think that almost every single person involved would qualify as a scientist to one degree or another. That having been said though, it's extremely hard for me to imagine this kind of thing happening without at least a small military presence somewhere.

As far as specifics go:

Mechanics: A large minority (maybe even a majority) of the original settlers would be glorified mechanics of one sort or another. This category would also have several subcategories (such as comp.techs, electricians, welders (super-important in this setting))

Landscaping: Seriously. It wouldn't be much of a priority at first, but in any ecological endeavor there's going to be a definite need for people who are basically glorified landscapers.

Biologists/Botanists: This one's obvious.

Pilots/Drivers: Ditto

Geologists: also ditto

Psychologists: there probably wouldn't be more than a few, but a project like this would never get the go ahead without at least one on board

Engineers: absolutely vital to the expansion of the colony

That's about all I can think of right now.

Jeez dude! Slow down! I don't even have the Adventure book yet. If she starts with all that stuff now, I'm gonna feel real left out... ::sad

Hey, its not our fault you refuse to join the 21st century!

Checklist for Cottus ::tongue :

1.) A source of electricity. Dude you must get tired pedling the stationary bike generator just to hold our aim convos and check your email!

2.) DSL and a halfway decent compy.

3.)debit/credit card...its not difficult, just be sure to read the fine print and shop around for the best deal. Remember just cuz you have it doesnt mean you have to use it. For those things that its useful for, like buying books and such online, you are building credit (with a credit card) Personally I go with Debit since i never like to spend what I dont have and they get you on the interest with credit.

4.) Cell Phone...seriously dude, your mom misses you and she wishes you would call her more often....

Since Bc PMed me about this I will post my response here:

But I have to say, I'm glad you're eager, but a little more feedback on the world would truly be helpful to get to that point.

World feedback? Well I think the concept is cool...Mars base, being the first people to erupt, tense relations with earth etc. I will echo Phoenixs sentiment that hard sci-fi settings leave something to be desired or can get boring quickly. Intercharacter stuff is fun and always welcome but I persoanlly prefer a nice equal balance between characterization and action. Im sure youve got that covered since it sounds like you have some good antagonists waiting in the wings.

What Id really like to know, is what is the overarching theme of your campaighn? What stories do you want to tell? What message or vision do you want share with us through them? Where would like to see the setting after a year of RL time playing?

Seeing as how the Mars terraforming is going to take many years (barring some PCs getting some high level abilities to change things on the global scale) I hope things wont stay on Mars entirely. Or that we will discover alien artifacts, or mutant rebellions or Arnold Swarzenegger in a robotic explosive fat woman costume... ::laugh

Anyways, you get the idea.

Cottus, there is a slight military presence(IE, the people who are backed by the governments), but even they are required to have a specialty that supports the colony... and usually tend to be very charismatic, to keep things on an even keel.

Overarching Themes? Responsibility. Identity. Hope. What makes someone human? Is it right what you're doing? Should people be here if this is the result? Should you encourage this, or try and stop it?

What I want to see after a year of real time? Players calling the shots, letting what they're focusing on become important. Earth Mars relations becoming a bigger theme, with the possibility of a war on everyone's mind. Factions becoming important, as is the question of becoming inhuman, as Quantum five and higher level powers become available.

Vision... I'll let my storytelling show that.

On the staying on Mars question... we'll see.

Cottus, there is a slight military presence(IE, the people who are backed by the governments), but even they are required to have a specialty that supports the colony... and usually tend to be very charismatic, to keep things on an even keel.
So far that describes me to a "T".

Jack Stone, famous Geologist, olympic Boxer, and millitary dude. 3rd generation inspired. It's annoying that "Science" is Geology... of course "Geologist" in this enviroment may mean "Scout".

Current Setting: As I understand it:

The time is roughly between the Aberrant War and Trinity, except that novas never came about, so thus never did the nova golden age or nova tech. Humanity advanced as in RL, but in the 21th century there were problems. India and Pakistan had an atomic war. The world both ran out of oil and enjoyed intense global warming. The loss of India, the rise of anti-global trading, the loss of oil, to make a long story short the world got nailed with an economic down turn that was worse than the great depression.

The Middle East fell apart without oil (and has enjoyed desertification). China became a great power, ditto Brazil, the US stayed that way but is less of a Superpower. After the Gulf Stream got changed Europe went into something like an ice age (arguebly it's what they deserve simply for being far North). Parts of Africa are recovering better than most because they were less dependant on oil and had the climate change for the better, other parts are still a mess (worse if that's possible).

I think that sounds awesome personally! And FYI the year has been stated as 2046...

Which is between the Aberrant War and Trinity, yes. Or would be in mainline.

Hmm, waiting to see if a few more ideas gell, then likely have the mostly full character gen up at the end of the week. (IE, just the first part, not the conversion yet)

Actually, current oil peak is stated to start happening in 2020(The point where we've pumped more then half, and the more easily gotten at half too), and giving the growing demand, that likely will be optimistic. GW... given that I lived up in Alaska a couple of years, the effects are already starting. I'm just postulating that it flips over a bit sooner, plus people's reactions are exaggerated at this point(view the current reactions to Rita and the like).

So you are running this here? Can I play? ::cool

I'm planning on running it here now, yes. As to if you can play... I'll start taking character submissions next week likely, to fill (Hopefully) a five or six man group. Until I see character sheets, no guarantees on taking anyone, but I'll be more then happy to see your character and have you play.

actually, peak oil is a topic of hot button debate. I understand that oil-people want to downplay it but the evidence is strong that its already happening. Some say 2020, some earlier, some say it passed already. Sometime within the next 50 years probably for sure, unless something drastic happens..especially now that China is ramping up automobile for their gigantic population.

So Bc could have it where she does. Sounds like the environment and the economy are trashed...time to get out of dodge (Howser:: "Get your ass to Mars!")

GW... given that I lived up in Alaska a couple of years, the effects are already starting. I'm just postulating that it flips over a bit sooner, plus people's reactions are exaggerated at this point(view the current reactions to Rita and the like).

Where'd you live in Alaska? I lived in Homer, AK from '99 until '02 myself.

Where'd you live in Alaska? I lived in Homer, AK from '99 until '02 myself.

Anchorage, from '01 to '04 here. *laughs* Which means I got to watch the city shut down over a piddling 3 feet of snow in '01. But you hear a lot about the melting glaciers and the weather from the people still there.

Anchorage, from '01 to '04 here. *laughs* Which means I got to watch the city shut down over a piddling 3 feet of snow in '01. But you hear a lot about the melting glaciers and the weather from the people still there.

Shoot, we got 8 feet of snow in one night in '99. People had to shovel their way out of their front doors and then dig their cars out of the snow so they could get to work. The power to over half of the high school building was out, but the busses picked up all the kids anyways and they used candles to light the building and had classes like always. People just acted like it was no big deal.

As for Anchorage, I'm more than a little familiar with it since, as I'm sure you know, just about everybody for several hundred miles around comes to Anchorage to do their monthly shopping and experience a little bit of city life. Where I lived in Homer, we could look across Kachemak bay and see the beginnings of the Harding Ice Field which, as I understand it, is one of the largest collections of glaciers in the world. All I know is that just the little fingers of ice that we could see coming over the edges of the mountains were huge. Absolutely enormous.

+40 bonus and 13 inspiration. Then likely a direct as possible translation to Nova terms +15 nova points after a couple of arcs. Does that make it clearer?

I was just mulling over this and realized I was a bit confused...

I was thinking that we have 15 NPs to convert our knacks with, but I realized i may have been off since you said convert + 15. So if its the second it means whatever knacks we buy convert and then +15 for new stuff yes?

actually, peak oil is a topic of hot button debate. I understand that oil-people want to downplay it but the evidence is strong that its already happening. Some say 2020, some earlier, some say it passed already. Sometime within the next 50 years probably for sure, unless something drastic happens..especially now that China is ramping up automobile for their gigantic population.,,

So Bc could have it where she does. Sounds like the environment and the economy are trashed...time to get out of dodge (Howser:: "Get your ass to Mars!")

The loss of India is going to be harsh. Complicated supply chains and production lines just had one of their core components get nuked.

So basically, things are pretty bad on Earth right now. The world ran out of oil recently and the economy fell like a rock. India and/or Pakistan played the “blame someone else to unify us” card, one of Pakistan’s terror groups got out of hand, then a “quick, decisive, and limited” war (India invaded Pakistan to deal with some of the cross border terror camps) escalated and went nuclear.

The Mars plans had been in the works for decades, long before the crash, and continued largely on momentum and national pride. Competition played a big part, while a great many people in the US and the rest of the world think the Mars trip is a boondoggle that is diverting needed money away from “critical” needs, the US didn’t like the idea that in a hundred or two hundred years Mars could be an outpost of China. Comparisons to the OLD British colonies of North America were heavily made… i.e. Mars is a planet and the USA would far rather it became an America colony (State?) and not a Chinese one. And various groups sent their best and brightest.

Enter Jack Stone. On paper Jack is a geologist. However it’s public knowledge he’s ex (or maybe even current) military and his mission is to make Mars an American colony and not a Chinese one. The Americans chose well. Jack isn’t just mentally and physically tough, he also has a Charisma that can fill a room. He’s not here so much to “make” people Americans as to make them want to be that.

Archived