Aberrant RPG - Aberrant Setting questions

NFVD

Please tell me you didn't *write* the Space Tactics one. That thing was aweful on a level I've only seen once or twice before.

Admittedly it's been a while, and I'll allow the heat/cold issue, but what was so wrong about it? Most of the physics check, it's based on tactics already in use, and it was fun to write....What specific complaints do you have with it?

FR

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admittedly it's been a while, and I'll allow the heat/cold issue, but what was so wrong about it? Most of the physics check, it's based on tactics already in use, and it was fun to write....What specific complaints do you have with it?

FR

I've tried reading it twice. I had to stop at the whole bizarre "sonar-based space missiles" lunacy.

I haven't read the Tactics file, but I like the Races file. I especially like the Sterma; coinincidentally, they remind me quite a bit of the Ori (from Stargate SG1) and make a nice counterpoint to the Doyen. One lot are sneaky buggers and the other are galactic domination oriented egomaniacs. Love it!

JC

Creed: Thanks! The races were originally for a two-dimensional RPG I was designing in high school (one dimension was to be cyberpunk and the other fantasy); obviously, I decided to trash the game, and salvage what I could...

I've tried reading it twice. I had to stop at the whole bizarre "sonar-based space missiles" lunacy.

1) Sorry, I refuse to acknowledge that sonar works in space. If it does, then I need to stop making fun of Wing Commander (the movie)'s space sonar, and I don't see that happening any time soon. I would make the point that, even in a high-tech society, you may forget how something works, but know that is successful. That success plus ignorance, and one hell of a pitch, and, well, some arms merchant is walking off really happy...

2) Radar: Heh. Needed to explain this in better detail. I figure that, in 115 years, they would have figured a way to jam radar (they can do it somewhat now, so it's not too hard of a leap). Lidar, on the other, is based on light, which even a photokinetic has problems blocking, so I figured that it would be still be effective. Note that this applies ONLY to combat; radar is still likely to be used in every other situation...

FR

Archived