The New Era

Jackson Creed

Hi all,

The control and ownership of the site has been transfered to me, so I am now the new Admin for Eononline.net.

However, there is still the problem of the account expiration in 12 days. We will need to pay to continue this site for the next 12 months. To those who are able to contribute, we need to sort out the funds transfer ASAP, so that we don't have any site downtime.

I will be modifying my account, and the accounts of those who wish to have Moderator access, as soon as I figure out how to (could take a little while)!

All patience and help for the noob Admin will be greatly appreciated!!!

JC

I wanted to ask about Mod status as well. Im probably the most prolific poster of the noobs around here, having racked up over a G in less than a year.

Ive never Moded before but Id like to gain experience and I love Eon. Maybe Phoenix would show me the ropes and such...besides I would like shiny guns too! (actually Im more excited about the prospect of having more PM space).

Let me know!

SL

Thanks folks,

As soon as I figure how to alter the profile access stuff for people who want Mod status, I'll upgrade them (may take a little while).

As for PayPal, I have an account set up but I'm not entirely sure how the funds transfer system works (help would be appreciated)...

I imagine the next few weeks will be entertaining as we figure out how things work around here...

JC

Looks like I may have to go the PayPal route as well, unless I get real lucky & find a decent Western Union in my neck of the woods.

Speaking of PayPal, how much of a hassle is setting up & maintaining an account with them? Aside from yearly payments for EON's upkeep, I wouldn't expect to be using it for other stuff at all.

BTW, I have yet to transfer the license for the forum software, so right now Jackson doesn't have the ability to contact the Invision tech support or do any upgrades. However, I can and will make him an Admin and start teaching him how to use the board software, including how to make other people Moderators at his discretion.

Transferring the software license will likely take a few days, I'll let you all know when that is complete.

Speaking of PayPal, how much of a hassle is setting up & maintaining an account with them? Aside from yearly payments for EON's upkeep, I wouldn't expect to be using it for other stuff at all.
Trivial if you have a credit card and deal in numbers less than 5 grand or so.

The one thing they like to suggest, which is also where real risk starts to come in, is giving them access to bank accounts. I flatly refuse to touch that idea.

With a credit card number there are real limits to what they can do (good and bad). The credit card company is a different company entirely, meaning they don't have direct assess to your funds, and if it were relevant (which it isn't) federal law limits the downside to something like $50.

As I understand it, with permission to access your bank account they also get permission to freeze your bank account if they think you're doing something you shouldn't. It's giving them a big slab of power that IMHO, they don't need and benifits me in no way.

BTW, that 5 grand number is lifetime for that account. So in a few decades or so I might have to open another.

Congrats on the new position Sprocket, once the paypal thing is working email me with the details and the amount on freds10@optusnet.com.au or pm me. As I offered in the previous thread I will cover both the webhosting and the forum license renewals.

Sprocket has anew position? Ayre...its actually Jackson Creed who is our new Admin (Hail!)...

Congrats Jackson!!! And many sincere and deeply felt thanks!!

Believe it or not (and I won't blame you if you don't, know one else does...), I don't have a credit card (or a cell phone, or a home address...) so PayPal is out for me. But I'm more than willing to send a money order if you're willing to give me a snail mail address. I can FedEx it or whatever to make sure it gets to you in short order.

Congrats Jackson!!! And many sincere and deeply felt thanks!!

Believe it or not (and I won't blame you if you don't, know one else does...), I don't have a credit card (or a cell phone, or a home address...) so PayPal is out for me. But I'm more than willing to send a money order if you're willing to give me a snail mail address. I can FedEx it or whatever to make sure it gets to you in short order.

Cottus only recently discovered electricity, and I have it on good authority that he still uses a dial-up connection... ::ohmy

::tongue

Jackson is now officially an Admin of the forum. Feel free to hassle him with all your forum-based questions. ::biggrin ::ultracool

Jackson, pal...if you look up top, near the View New Posts option, you should now see Admin CP. Click on that to take yourself to the Admin Control Panel, which will require you to login. Once logged in...enjoy the madness. ::tongue ::wink

::confused Ayre has obviously been smoking something good (or drinking absinthe); as the only position I'm going for here is that of one of EON's many financial contributors. ::ultracool

Make no mistake, Jackson Creed is going to be EON's new head honcho. Myself, I'm far too busy working on the Aberrant fanbooks to have any time to administrate EON (even as just a Mod). ::cool

"BY THE POWER OF EON!!!"

"I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!"

... ahem!

Ooh, liking this whole Admin access stuff. I've been tootling around the various forums that I never bothered trying to get access to before. I have to admit, The Cult of Mal had intrigued me for quite a while. To be honest, I've been looking around the inactive projects and stuff to see if there's anything I can stea... adapt to some of my personal projects. Not had a chance to look through The New Flesh, but it is high on my list of curioser and curioser stuff!!!

If you have any forum related issues, please PM me with them (posting in forums I don't normally go will get your question unanswered until I stumble on it!). I'll try and start doing my rounds of the various forums, but if it's urgent just give me a shout.

Additionally, if you desire Mod access, then PM me and we can it sort out. I won't have time to Mod most of the forums that I don't regularly use, so I would much rather the regular users police themselves and get me to do stuff only when Admin access is required. I prefer to spread the power and responsibilty amongst those who are prepared to accept it (beware Greeks bearing gifts...)!

JC

It's okay Cottus, I don't have a credit card either. I'm paranoid like that. I'd rather shell out my cash in person. But no cell phone? I would wither and die.

Congrats Jackson. Now you have access to all the off-limits subforums! Now you can peek in on The New Flesh. Bastard.

Believe it or not, for the first year after I moved down here to California I didn't have: a phone number (of any kind), a physical address, a mailing address (well there was one for a place I'd lived in Alaska 2 years before...), a computer, internet access, an instate bank account (the one I had listed me as living in Alaska at the aforementioned old address), an instate driver's license (you would not believe the things cops will let you off with a warning for if you have an out of state licence - especially an Alaskan license - which at first glance looks like a very cheap library card), a regular paycheck (and by association a tax trail). Basically, if you tried to follow my paper trail, the only things you would've found would have been a driver's license for the state of Alaska, and a bank account in the same state. The address was really old and I hadn't been living there for over a year when I left the state to come down here to Cali. Meanwhile I was living down here working a job that paid straight cash and getting my mail second-hand from friends up in AK.

So when you consider all of that, I think I've come a long way and am doing quite well for myself. I still can't operate a cellphone, let alone want to own one, I haven't watched television on any sort of regular basis for about 8 years, and I've never even seen an Ipod up close before, but one day I'll have fully joined the 21st century, you'll see. One day.

Ooh! Can I come and live there too???
It's called "Australia" silly man. ::tongue
I haven't watched television on any sort of regular basis for about 8 years,
So ... you go and join my game that's based on Sliders and Stargate ... two tv series that you are unlikely to have seen ... ::blink

Nurse! We need to get this guy a DVD player and a massive credit card bill from Amazon! He's fading away! ::laugh

It's called "Australia" silly man. ::tongue

So ... you go and join my game that's based on Sliders and Stargate ... two tv series that you are unlikely to have seen ... ::blink

Nurse! We need to get this guy a DVD player and a massive credit card bill from Amazon! He's fading away! ::laugh

Well, Sliders came out more than 8 years ago and I definitely watched that (great show IMO). As for Stargate, well I saw the movie, does that count? Actually all my friends are always going on and on about SG-1 or whatever it's called, and how great it is. I kind of regret missing it. Oh well.

Okay folks, the site has been renewed for another six months. ::biggrin ::laugh ::tongue

I actually did it by accident; without realising, I clicked the auto-renew button on the host renewal section of our host during my last foray around it while setting up PalPal stuff, and was slightly surprised when $53 vanished from my account (which hopefully won't cause me any problems if I get up early in the morning and transfer funds into the account so a cheque I wrote doesn't bounce!)

So... we are online for another six months, which should give us plenty of breathing room for moving funds around for site renewal etc.

:jumping40: :jumping40: :jumping40:

JC

Since I first joined I have used the Elrond avatar (or some version of it)... it's tradition!

Speaking of which, yesterday was my five year anniversary; so today is the first day of year six of my membership of eon!!!! Not sure if there are any active members who have been here longer... getting old!

::devil ::devil ::devil

JC

Archived