Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier

Dawn OOC

I'm really surprised no one started a post about this. Regardless, I'm going to, and I'll post a review here when I've seen it.

Yes, I actually plan to see this opening weekend. I've looked forward to this too much and all the reviews (it opened in the UK already) are awesome.

Keep your eyes out for the upcoming review!

All spoilers (and there will be spoilers) will be put in a spoiler box so that I can comment on the review without ruining it for others. Then when people see the movie, they can come back and talk more about it. See my Riddick review to see how I handled it previously. ;)

So... do... mine? Yeah, that doesn't work too well, does it? And yet, I have to say that while I love Chris Evans and think he's hot as hell, I'm really looking to see what they have the Black Widow doing in this movie. I've heard her role expanded from what was initially conceived, and I'm hoping that means she's getting more plot, and is not there to provide more fan service.

I've seen it, & enjoyed it immensely. Once again, Whedon has made excellent use of what were originally seen as minor plot threads in earlier works to put new twists on things. It was almost worth the ticket price, but those prices are so marked up these days (in the U.S. at least - are things any different in the U.K. & Commonwealth nations?) that few movies are truly worth paying it.

I've seen it, & enjoyed it immensely. Once again, Whedon has made excellent use of what were originally seen as minor plot threads in earlier works to put new twists on things. It was almost worth the ticket price, but those prices are so marked up these days (in the U.S. at least - are things any different in the U.K. & Commonwealth nations?) that few movies are truly worth paying it.

Whedon didn't direct this one...

"...and not just a fly by. He's gotta mingle."

Nuff said.

,, ,,

That's a great quote from Robert Redford (saw it in a teaser vid), but I always hear your posts in my mind with the voice of James Woods because of your avatar now... :lol:

My review:

The Winter Soldier was a lot of fun to watch. That more than anything was the anticipation I had for the movie. I can’t really talk much about what was wrong with it because not much was. The only real issue I had was that it felt Bourne Identity enough that when it got back to being Marvel and over-the-top, I found it slightly jarring. That was my major issues with the movie, and wasn’t a function of something wrong as much as the nature of a modern-day Captain America. He isn’t throwing giant hammers; Black Widow doesn’t wear an iron suit. It’s easy to forget that this is a superhero movie because it starts to feel like a movie about heroes.

Here are some thoughts I felt the need to spoiler:

I really liked that Hydra was the villain. I thought that it was awesome that the second movie called back so hard to the first. Hydra is a major Cap villain but they can’t be used all the time. I thought that their use here was well-done. They are subtle and insidious; they are your neighbor and your co-worker. They are all around you. Sadly, this wasn’t used until the very end. Once Zola laid out that Pierce was their leader, it lost some of the bite.

The scene with Zola was the one where I felt that bit of disjointed sensation, like I was in a different movie suddenly. I know that I had been watching superheroes but it had felt like heroes instead, and Zola shoved me right back into the higher level world.

I loved how much Black Widow was in this one. It should have been called “Captain America and Black Widow: The Winter Soldier”. It felt like this movie holds the potential to open up the idea of a Black Widow movie, and I am all for that.

I loved the exploration of the man Steve Rogers was born to be and the man the world wants him to be. Over and over, he’s asked to compromise and do it a darker, easier way, or to look away from what it happening, and he refuses. That refusal felt so right for him and it provided some strong subtext to the story.

Overall, I felt that the cast for this was first-rate and they did a fantastic job. I loved it. :D

I saw it. It was awesome. So many cool Easter Eggs for fans of the comic.

My only comment to add to what Dawn said relates to this:

,, ,, The only real issue I had was that it felt Bourne Identity enough that when it got back to being Marvel and over-the-top, I found it slightly jarring.
,, ,,

This was actually completely intentional on the part of the producer and directors. Kevin Feige has talked about how each Marvel film gets to flirt with it's own genre, blending it with the superhero universe. So for example, Captain America 1 was the WWII period film. This one was made to be a callback to 70's era spy thrillers. It is for this good reason that they cast Robert Redford.

They ALSO stated that they wanted to show that Cap wasn't just a peak human, but a super soldier...which they establish with him running and moving and hitting far faster, and harder than any human could. The opening few scenes especially establish this.

• 2 weeks later...

while i loved the movie and i got the idea that it wasn't supposed to include all of the avengers. i do believe that stark should have had some kind of part since shield was using a vast majority of his and banners tech. with that being stated there would and should have been several alarms and sensors (including jarvis as well) alerting stark to the scenario at hand. other than that it was a damn good movie and my buddies and i both felt is was worth the price to see it.

...except Stark (like all the Avengers) is on a need to know basis. Also, S.H.I.E.L.D. has their own tech division. If you are referring to the Repulsortech they mention on the the helicariers, they probably bought them from Stark (who is already a government contractor).

But aside from story reasons, Downey's contract is almost up, and they need him for Avengers 2 and 3. Also, maybe someday we will get a true blurring of the lines, but Marvel has said they want to keep the individual films distinct, so having Iron Man (even if they just had the CGI suit) come in and save the day would take some of the Thunder away from Cap, Falcon, and Widow.

That said I agree it would have been an awesome surprise, much like Cap's "cameo" in Thor: The Dark World.

i could provide more sound reasoning to further my point but it would reveal to much of the movie to prove this. as far as contracts go there's such a thing as renewal's and extensions. plus stark has repeatedly proven that even though he's on a "need to know basis" there's really nothing that he doesn't know about shield and its operatives.

...or they figured out he hacked them in the Avengers and removed the spyware. I feel like you underestimate S.H.I.E.L.D.'s scope as an organization (the Ultimates does a good job of showing how Stark needs S.H.I.E.L.D. as much as they need him).

Feel free to discuss spoilery things in spoiler tags...

I should note, I agree with you, that in a perfect world we would get all of the Avengers popping up in each other's films as much as the comics (this was an early critique of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in that people complained about how none of the A-Listers ever seemed to make an appearance), and Sony and Fox wouldn't have the rights for Spiderman and the X-Men, and we could finally get the Civil War Trilogy like we deserve. But we don't live in that perfect world, and I accept Marvel's strategy of keeping the individual films largely separate, and think The Winter Soldier was as strong an effort as we've seen from the series yet! I have nothing but excitement for the future, and the impending Guardians of the Galaxy!

So hell's freezing over, because I'm about to type these words (and mean them): I agree with Skylion. Not about SHIELD and Stark's pissing match; that bitchfest feels more like writer preference than reality (as in the writer's preference becomes the reality for the story s/he writes). I agree that it's okay - and even expected - that people would want interconnected movies to feel interconnected. However, we live in a world of copyrights and contracts and licensing, and all too often, that trumps the pure story.

Also: comics and movies are not the same media. I don't get why people rant about movies not being perfect adaptations. Of course they aren't. They can't be. The rules for making a movie are completely different than making a book. Further, I feel that forcing a movie to follow a book lockstep would create terrible films that only appeal to the hardcore fans of the book, not the mass audiences needed to support a movie. Can you imagine how terrible the last Twilight movie would have been if they'd followed the boring-ass book to the letter? Instead, the movie-makers went another direction and we ended up with the second-best action sequence of the year (second, I'll note, only because Avengers came out the same year).

Also, until I checked the Wiki on the MCU, I didn't realize that GotG was meant to be part of the overall story! I'm actually very interested to see where they take it now, and that probably just bumped up my interest in Guardians quite a bit. I'll have to do a review for that film, too.

I was interested in it, and have been since "What a bunch of a-holes". I have to admit, that line tipped me from "I'll probably see it on DVD" to "Okay, I'll see it in the theatre." Learning it's part of the MCU interests me enough to make it an opening weekend movie, just to see how it ties in.

I'm intrigued by this "It's all connected" experiment that Marvel is doing. I don't think any other company has (or even can) pull together this kind of collaboration between three mediums: cinema, TV and comics. I'm watching it avidly.

Okay so I just saw it and I enjoyed it. I loved how cool the fight on the ship in the beginning was, wile still keeping the Jobber a Jobber. One glaring omission for me was not the absence of Stark; the movie takes place over 3 days so it's more than possible that Iron Man, Thor and Hulk didn't become aware of what's going on until it's too late for them to get there in time to help/be useful.

No, for me it was Hawkeye's absence that I found most jaring. In the Marvel Movie universe, Barton is a knwn SHIELD agent and yet here in the Cap/SHIELD movie he's nowhere to be found, not even mentioned? Major oversight in my opinion. From a movie making standpoint I get why he's not there. Cost, face time and the desire to introduce other characters into the universe but really, even a throw away line about him being on mission in Kukamunga (or some other out of the way place) or being in therapy for what happened to him in the Avengers. Something! Anyhoo, that was my biggest gripe.

I love how they handled many of the various characters, keeping them as true as they could to the original ideas while stripping out some of the cheesier elements of them.

I was interested in it, and have been since "What a bunch of a-holes". I have to admit, that line tipped me from "I'll probably see it on DVD" to "Okay, I'll see it in the theatre." Learning it's part of the MCU interests me enough to make it an opening weekend movie, just to see how it ties in.

I'm intrigued by this "It's all connected" experiment that Marvel is doing. I don't think any other company has (or even can) pull together this kind of collaboration between three mediums: cinema, TV and comics. I'm watching it avidly.

Word is that GotG doesn't really tie into Phase 2, but is more of a long game tie in to Avengers 3 ... depending on how well GotG is received they might appear and team with the Avengers in that movie ... or so rumor claims.

spoilers
Of course if you know the comics at all and who the purple dude at the end of Avengers was you will know that Thanos and the Infinity Gems are what will tie GotG to the rest of the MCU

Yeah Hawkeye got the shaft (*ahem!*) in Thor and the Avengers both. I hate to say it but I think Jeremy Renner was miscast. It's like...Hollywood really WANTS him to be a leading man (see: The Bourne Legacy), but he's just missing something. Not sure what, maybe looks, maybe charisma. He was great in the Hurt Locker but I haven't really enjoyed him in anything since.

Jordan, you know, I thought about that. I have no answer as to why he's not in there, but it just makes sense that he'd be at least mentioned. Maybe he's been replaced by Falcon; I don't know how much room they have for non-super super sidekicks.

Archived