Alternity: Firefly

Dave ST

I tried this about the same time last year and it fizzled out due to my horrendous schedule. So, here I am trying to pitch this idea again, this time it will be a bit better written, I hope.

This for the Alternity RPG Rule set.

Synopsis

The year is 2650 and mankind has been traveling The Black for the better part of, oh, say, five centuries or so. Things had been going great until the Second Galactic War started in 2346. Every Stellar Nation was fighting for resources and looking to expand their borders, even those nations that were neutral during the war found themselves fighting to keep everyone else off their proverbial lawn.

To take a step back, The Verge was discovered in 2314. It rests about 100 light years beyond the Milky Way Galaxy, right off the galactic arm. Y'see the Stellar Nations were doing what they could at the time, but resources were getting sparse. The Verge changed all that and since no Stellar Nation wanted to left out of the loop of the next great resource rush, they all poured every credit they could into making it there first.

When the war started 32 years later in 2346, something happened to all the FTL communications relays that led to the Verge and everyone who was left to colonize those worlds faced a tragedy they weren’t prepared for: they were all left behind and forgotten. Everyone who had come to colonize the Verge was simply left to their own devices. They were left with no way to call for new supplies, no way to contact family or loved ones back home, no way to find out what was happening. All the colony ships had automated FTL drives to prevent tampering (or trespassing in another nation's territory) so the trip was one way, until their contracts were done and they were sent on a transport back home. With no way home and no way to resupply, the colonists did the only thing the could: they survived.

It took generations to get FTL travel back, and a few more to begin trading with other systems again, but by that time they'd all but forgotten about where they'd come from. The Stellar Ring was just a legend, an old tale told around the fires at night.

So, 304 years later, the Vergers have done the best they could with all they were given and the Verge became it's own frontier star system with few laws, a ton of struggles and all kinds of problems of it's own. The Stellar Nations themselves were all but forgotten and the Vergers were doing alright on their own.

In 2634 though the unthinkable occurred: Stellar Nation ships, now calling themselves The Galactic Concord, arrived in the Verge. The first contact after three centuries didn't go well as the Concord Military declared the Verge under their jurisdiction and all were now subject to Concord Law. They offered no explanation for why they had abandoned the Vergers for so long and the Vergers, at this point, didn't care.

War soon ravaged the Verge as the Free People of the Verge refused to roll over and hand everything they'd build from nothing over to a power that abandoned them so long ago. The Concord Military was a force to be reckoned with however, and the Vergers didn't stand a chance. After nearly fifteen years of heavy fighting most of the Verge has fallen under Concord control and they continue to expand their power taking the people's lands, freedoms, and generations of hard work away from them and 'civilizing' them.

Now, in 2650, the expansion is slower but there are still those who remember a life without the Galactic Concord. It wasn't perfect, but it was a free life where as long as you respected others, they respected you and those who had no respect didn't last long. Where honest men and women made a life for themselves anyway they could, and the evil men of the galaxy soon got their comeuppance. For the most part, the Vergers just want to go back to having the freedom to do things their way.

Content

Aliens.
Aliens are available as PC races. Some may feel that aliens aren't really in line with a Firefly sort of game considering that in Firefly cannon there are no aliens. I'll concede that point, but also, this is not Firefly. It's themed off it, sure, but I would like for characters to have options other than [Human/Class/Job].

The Fraal, Weren and Mechalus (Aleerans) are viable player races along with humans. Their worlds were within the Stellar Ring and it's just as likely that their ancestors seized the opportunity to venture somewhere new. I think this helps to create more of a cultural melting pot as well. Race doesn't matter in the Verge, at this point every alien is a native, you all might look different, but you're all Vergers.

Psionics.

Mindwalkers are dangerous. They are also very rare. For this reason only one PC may be a Mindwalker and they must be a Mindwalker. No talents, no Diplomats with Mindwalker as their second profession. You must be a Mindwalker.

It's no secret, since First Contact with the Fraal, that the mind was a powerful weapon. Psionics themselves have not really been seen or heard from in quite some time. Most who possess the talent for psionics tend to keep to themselves as old superstitions tend to rouse local folk into fits of fear and violence. No one likes It when you can poke around in their head, after all. It's for this reason that the fraal are generally not trusted and any other race who ends up with sorts of abilities is either ostracized (and usually die in the frontier) or put out of their misery long before their powers mature.

Fraal, unless they are Mindwalkers, are limited to only the Telepathy Broad Skill.

Robitics.

Robitcs makes all of life easier. They are, however limited to very simple programming. For this reason, Robots are not viable as a PC option since it requires an AI to play a robot as a PC and AIs are not playable.

Technology

The Vergers have low tech. It's very much like a spaghetti western meets Sci-Fi (sci-fi revolvers, dusters, cowboy hats). Sure, they have FTL ships that take them between systems, but they tend to be of the 'none to fancy' variety. They use slug throwers, and melee weapons. Gravity Induction technology is a 'standard', so almost all Verger know what it is but tend to use horses or what passes for a horse on the various planets. It makes it easier to get around on the ranches. Most space faring types tend to employ hover vehicles for ease of cargo transport. They've had three hundred years to create a new civilization using only what they came with, the result is a culture that's hit a high-tech western plateau, complete with mindset. Lots of dust, rust, and dirt under the fingernails.

"Ain't gotta be pretty, long as it works."

Generally speaking you'll be equipped in the PL5 to PL6 range. PL7 technology is reserved more for vehicles and ships and less for personal protection.

Also, to prevent confusion, the following optional rules will be in use. They pertain to skill purchase and improvement.

Optional Rule 2A: In addition to the free broad skills determined by race selection, a new character has a number of skill points equal to 30 plus 3 times his Intelligence score available to purchase skills during character creation. Human heroes receive a special bonus of 5 additional skill points at character creation.

This replaces the skill point allocations indicated on Table P5 in the Player's Handbook. Under the old system, an alien hero with an Intelligence score of 9 received 40 skill points for initial skill purchase; under the upgrade, he receives 30 + (3 x 9) or 57 skill points. A human hero of the same Intelligence score would begin with 62 skill points if using this optional rule.

Optional Rule 2B: During initial skill purchase, a character may not learn more than six additional broad skills, not counting his racial broad skills. Modify this number by the hero's Intelligence-based resistance modifier.

Since low-Intelligence characters receive a much greater number of skill points in this upgrade, the limitation on purchasing new broad skills is relaxed somewhat. This replaces the limits given on Table P5. Previously, a character of Intelligence 6 would be able to purchase no more than 3 broad skills during initial skill purchase, but this upgrade increases that number to 5 (6, less 1 for his -1 Intelligence resistance modifier).

Optional Rule 2C: The cost to purchase rank 2 or higher in a specialty skill is either the list price or the list price -1. The number of ranks a character currently possesses in the specialty skill does not increase the cost of advancing that skill.

This replaces the second bullet point under Cost of Skills on page 61 in the Player's Handbook. As originally written, advancing a specialty skill from rank 4 to rank 5 (for instance) would cost a number of skill points equal to the original purchase price +4. This upgrade changes the advancement of skills so that a character simply buys the skill again at its normal purchase price in order to advance his skill rank.
Note that a hero may not begin with a specialty skill rank of more than 3 at character creation, and that a character cannot improve a skill rank more than once per achievement level.

Once again, I open this up for discussion.

Welp, you know I'm still going to use Samuel Connell. For those who don't recall, he's the youthful scout/sniper/tracker from Black Forest, the arboreal planet with a still active resistance movement. I'll have to update the sheet, of course.

Also, are we still going to use those PC-specific special abilities?

Okay I will admit I felt a little put out when I saw Darius' post, and the urge to grab the psionics section of the rules and run away screaming MINEMINEMINE! was strong. :) I've thought about it and considering Darius had created a character for this game concept the first time it came around and I only have a vague idea that playing psi would be cool, I'll give up any claim of the mindwalker slot.

Last night while I was thinking about the game I came up with a concept and h works just as well, perhaps even better, without Psi. So I am going to play a Combat Spec Gunslinger. He's be polite, have the typical western drawl and say things like "Ma'am" and he'll wear a cowboy hat and duster... and he'll shoot you in the face if the price is right.

Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking. We haven't been properly introduced yet, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to get the formalities outta the way. Name's Captain Chase, Van to my friends. That'll be "Captain" from most of you, I expect. One man called me Chase, and that was his privilege, but since he's no longer with us, neither's the name. I've got just a few rules while you're making this fine vessel your home away from home, but really only one to concern yourself with for the present moment: She's my ship, and she goes where I want her to go. Don't go thinkin' about how you might wanna run it yourselves, 'cause you can't. Long as we see eye to eye on that point, I think we'll get along just fine. :)

To help with the brain storming, I've come up with a few ideas that might help you guys come up with the sort of character you're looking to play. Here's a few concepts I cooked up. Mind you they are just suggestions to help get you brain storming ideas. Tweak them to suit your play style, but a lot of times I hear 'so what should a [profession] have for skills?

I've included a few skills, plus some suggestions to consider. This should leave you with some points left over to personalize the PC a bit more. May a soldier is kinda tech savy [technical science], or an engineer who spends her off time reading about history [knowledge] or the Verge in general [culture or astrogation].

I hope these help.

Combat Specs

The Ex-Soldier

When the Concords came, you fought for the Verge and it's people. Needless to say you didn't like it to well when the brass blew the whistle and decided to just give up and hand over everything you and yours worked for all their lives. Sure, the war is over, but you've a score to settle. Freedom is everything and you're not about to roll over and give in. You don't need charity or to be a part of their machine, you'll make it on your own, the way you did before they arrived and they you will long after you boot em from your verse.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 12 | DEX 11 | CON 11 | INT 9 | WIL 9 | PER 8

Suggested Skill Package: Armor Operation, Modern Ranged Weapons [rifle], Survival, Tactics [infantry tactics]

Consider: Melee Weapons and/or Unarmed Attack (for those close quarter skirmishes and bar brawls), Stamina [endurance] (to keep going when others can't anymore), Resolve [physical resolve] (to help you heal faster), Athletics [Throw] (for grenades), Interaction (whichever suits your personality, you can't be all violence all the time, can you?)

The Mercenary

Money. That's all that matters to you and that's the only reason you stick around. One of these days someone is going to offer more than those you're with are paying you now and when that happens it's bound to be an interesting day for all of you.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 11 | DEX 11 | CON 12 | INT 9 | WIL 8 | PER 9

Suggested Skill Package: Armor Operation [combat armor], Modern Ranged Weapons [sMG], Interaction [intimidate]

Consider: Same as for the ex-soldier, but consider also Resolve [mental resolve] to offset your WIL. It might help you overcome that offer that might turn you against your mates one day... not that you'd turn on them or anything... right?

The Donk!

Who needs a gun when you've got a Donk, right? You might not have the book learnin' that everyone else does but you're fun, lovable, and loyal. Kinda like a bipedal space-puppy. Nobody messes you or your crew and if someone is stupid enough to try, that's when you step up and give them a fistful of 'act right' upside their head. Cuz' you're The Donk.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 14 | DEX 8 | CON 14 | INT 7 | WIL 9 | PER 8

Suggested Skill Package: Armor Operation, Heavy Weapons [direct fire], Athletics [throw], Demolitions, Science [repair], Unarmed Attack [brawl]

Consider: Stamina [endurance, resist pain], Resolve [physical resolve]

The Savage

You prefer 'native' or even the slang 'injun'. Whatever the term, your people swore off technology and decided to live off only what the land provided, like the Native Americans of Old Earth. You are spiritual and believe in the power of the Verse, but you needed to see that power and energy for yourself. You decided to leave your people and explore the worlds on your own and although to still prefer not to use technology, you are learning a great many things.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 10 | DEX 12 | CON 10 | INT 9 | WIL 10 | PER 9

Suggested Skill Package: Primitive Ranged Weapons [bow], Survival, Animal Handling, Investigate [track]

Consider: Melee Weapons and/or Unarmed Attack, Stamina [endurance], Resolve [physical resolve], Athletics [throw]

Free Agents

The Thrill Seeker

Hell, you're just in it for the kicks. Something about this life calls to you and it's a hell of a lot better than being cooped up on a ranch somewhere in one of those stuffy cities all the time making a living doing something you hate. If only people weren’t trying to kill you all the time...

Suggested Attributes:

STR 10 | DEX 11 | CON 9 | INT 10 | WIL 11 | PER 9

Suggested Skill Package: Modern Ranged Weapons [pistol], Vehicle Op [land vehicle, space vehicle], Security, Street Smart [criminal elements], Acrobatics [daredevil, dodge]

Consider: Melee Weapons and/or Unarmed Attack, Deception [bluff], Interaction [taunt], Stealth [sneak]

The Gambler

You joined up to escape a misunderstanding with a local gambling den... okay, several misunderstandings with several different dens. Now you help broker deals and make profitable contacts for the crew where ever you make port.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 8 | DEX 12 | CON 8 | INT 10 | WIL 11 | PER 11

Suggested Skill Package: Manipulation [pickpocket], Deception [bluff, gamble], Interaction [charm, seduce]

Consider: Unarmed Attack [brawl], Modern Ranged Weapons [pistol], Awareness [intuition, perception]

The Thief

You've always made your living by preying off the weak, destitute, and the unaware, and why not? The frontier worlds of the Verge are a cold and unfriendly place and you have to eat. You've always been good at cracking security and now you ply that trade for your crew.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 8 | DEX 12 | CON 8 | INT 11 | WIL 11 | PER 10

Suggested Skill Package: Acrobatics [defensive martial arts], Stealth [hide, sneak], Security [protection protocols, security devices]

Consider: Manipulation [lockpick, pickpocket], Deception [bluff], Street Smart [criminal elements, street knowledge]. Investigate [search]

Diplomats

The Holy Man

You lived a pious life of bringing faith to the faithless across the Verge systems. You brought hope, peace, love and understanding to all those who lacked it. Goodwill, charity and nonviolent solutions have been your way. Now, your God has brought you to be with your crew and you can see that now you have heathens aplenty to shepard back onto the path of righteousness. Perhaps you chose the church to escape your past, if so, what did you do before you were a holy man?

Suggested Attributes:

STR 8 | DEX 10 | CON 7 | INT 11 | WIL 12 | PER 12

Suggested Skill Package: Knowledge [first aid], religious doctrine], Resolve [mental resolve], Teach, Culture [etiquette], Leadership [inspire]

Consider: Awareness [intuition, perception], Interaction [charm], and one or two others based on your secondary profession.

The 'Entertainer'

The Verse has certain wants... certain... needs, and you're there to fulfill them. You've been classically trained in all the arts necessary to cater to someone's desires whether they're the more baser needs or something a bit more intellectual. Being with the crew allows you to travel all around the Verge without having to constantly be hassled by potential clients. From the safety of The Black you can screen your potential 'dates'.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 7 | DEX 10 | CON 8 | INT 11 | WIL 11 | PER 13

Suggested Skill Package: Awareness [intuition], Deception [bluff], Entertainment [act, dance, musical instrument, sing], Interaction [charm, seduce], Culture [diplomacy, etiquette]

Consider: Acrobatics [defensive martial arts], Melee Weapons, Resolve [mental resolve, physical resolve] plus one or two more dependent on your secondary profession.

,, ,,

The Free Trader

You're a mercenary, with scruples. You don't care how you get paid, as long as you get paid. Salvage, smuggling, a little bit of illicit dealing here and there never hurt anyone as long as you and your are eating, sleeping and still have a ship in one piece to repeat the process.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 9 | DEX 9 | CON 9 | INT 11 | WIL 11 | PER 11

Suggested Skill Package: Modern Ranged Weapon [pistol], Business [small business], Interaction [bargain]

Consider: Business [illicit business], Interaction [charm], Deception [bribe], plus one or two appropriate to their secondary profession.

Tech Ops

The Doctor

For whatever reason you've ended up as the medic catering to a crew of criminals and misfits. Maybe it's what you always wanted or maybe it's the last stop in a long line of bad luck. Either way this group finds itself with a fair share of scrapes and bruises. Maybe you're legally obligated to tell everyone... you're not a real doctor.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 8 | DEX 13 | CON 8 | INT 13 | WIL 10 | PER 8

Suggested Skill Package: Medical Science [medical knowledge, surgery, treatment]

Consider: Life Science [biology], Knowledge [first aid], Modern Ranged Weapons

The Engineer

You just have a flair for technology. If it weren't for you the ship wouldn't stay running and no one would be getting paid. You know your baby better than anyone and there ain't nothing you wouldn't do keep her in one piece and in the air.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 9 | DEX 10 | CON 8 | INT 13 | WIL 10 | PER 10

Suggested Skill Package: Knowledge [computer operation], System Operation [engineering], Technical Science [jury rig, repair, technical knowledge], Awareness [perception]

Consider: Modern Ranged Weapons, Interaction [bargain], Physical Science [physics], System Operation [any remaining]

The Pilot

You were born to fly. It's what you know, it's what you've always known. It's all you know. But... life had a different idea for you. The Verge is not a friendly place and you found yourslef in some dead end job making a living that barely kept you fed. Then, The Captain came along... gave you the opportunity to live your dream. It was a no brainer.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 9 | DEX 12 | CON 9 | INT 12 | WIL 9 | PER 9

Suggested Skill Package: Modern Ranged Weapons [pistol], Vehicle Operation [land, space], Knowledge [computer operation], Navigation [drivespace, system], System Operation

Consider: Technical Science [repair], Unarmed Attack, Awareness [intuition, perception]

Mindwalkers

Monk of The Way

From the moment you were discovered to be different from others you were sent away to The Abbey. There the men and women of the Faith nurtured your abilities and taught you to control them and harness the power within your mind. Now, like the Holy Man, you've found your place among the crew, surrounded by impurity and faithlessness. These people need you, you will show them The Way.

Suggested Attributes:

STR 11 | DEX 9 | CON 12 | INT 8 | WIL 12 | PER 8

Suggested Skill Package: Biokinesis [bioweapon, control metabolism, rejuvenate], Melee Weapons [blungeoning]

Consider: Resolve [mental resolve], Acrobatics [defensive martial arts, dodge], Awareness [intuition], Modern Ranged Weapons [pistol], ESP [battle mind, mind reading]

The Escaped Experiment

You don't talk about what they did to you because the less people know, the more normal you try and feel. Whoever it was, the government, the military, some twisted mad scientist with a secret benefactor, they took what you had forced you to use it before you were ready. They unlocked talents within your mind the hard way: with drugs, surgery, and psychological torture. But you escaped. You're free now. No one will ever find you... right?

Suggested Attributes:

STR 9 | DEX 9 | CON 10 | INT 10 | WIL 13 | PER 9

Suggested Skill Package: Telekinesis [kinetic shield, levitation, psyhokinetics, pyrokinetics], Modern Ranged Weapons [pistol]

Consider: Resolve [mental resolve, physical resolve], Unarmed Attack [power martial arts], Stealth [hide], Telepathy

The Slave Boy

There were working as a slave in a junk shop on the far side of the Verse. Not a care in the world but you always dreamed of freedom and one day seeing the stars. Along came the crew and before you knew it you were on your way. It wasn't long before everyone started noticing you were different. You have a gift... it scares you sometimes, but your slowly learning to control it...

Suggested Attributes:

STR 7 | DEX 8 | CON 7 | INT 13 | WIL 13 | PER 12

Suggested Skill Package: Telepathy [contact, illusion, suggest], ESP [mind reading]

Consider: Interaction [taunt], Modern Ranged Weapons, System Operation [any one], Technical Science [jury rig], Deception [bluff]

The name of the ship is going to be the Esperanza.

Some of you might want to start working on your reasons as to how you fell in with the captain and her ship. It's been quiet in here for a couple of days. I figured I'd give people some time to flesh out their characters a bit. I'm looking to begin this by Monday or Tuesday so if you need help or have questions, you should probably be asking them.

I've updated my PC's submission to the best of my abilities, however it would be cool if we could get a little more info on "the ship" and what sorts of things it'll be up to. Vivi, if you see this first before Dave (or after - whatever) and feel up to it, some more info on your PC and what sort of story "hooks" she might have that would allow the rest of us to attach our characters to her story would be much appreciated. :)

For now, since my character would probably qualify as the closest thing to a Shepherd Book in this story (despite being young, female, and non-religious), the if-nothing-else-comes-up plan is to rip off Book's intro story in Firefly and have her around because she "just happened" (in the story-driven coincidence sense) to have booked passage on Captain "Van" Chase's ship either at or shortly before game start, and winds up being sucked into the game's storyline as a result. Any other/better suggestions are welcome!

The red-wash on that picture messes with my brain something fierce for some reason. I think because of the sun. Weird.

Anyhoo, Madelaine would probably have joined up out of a need for berth and coin sometime in the past. She's reliable, doesn't take up much space, is an exceptional fighter and finds them the best routes from wherever they are to wherever they're going.

The red-wash on that picture messes with my brain something fierce for some reason. I think because of the sun. Weird.

Anyhoo, Madelaine would probably have joined up out of a need for berth and coin sometime in the past. She's reliable, doesn't take up much space, is an exceptional fighter and finds them the best routes from wherever they are to wherever they're going.

Berth and coin sounds about fair for Samuel too. Tracking, sniping and combat - plus knowing a bit of first aid too.

Actually, Vv, do you mind if Madelaine jumped in on Chase's defense in a bar fight and earned her place on the ship from that? That sounds more fun and interesting and like they go get drunk together sometimes. And pick bar fights. Or pick up guys. Or girls. Or both. Y'know, whatever.

S*D A&EG is all PL7 tech, which means its a bit outside y'alls pay grade at the moment. However, you can use the DarkMatter arms and equipment guide, since all those toys are in the PL5 to 6 range.

Sam's sniper rifle came from there I think.

Oh, Cherry, there are a few articles of equipment on your sheet that need adjusting. If it's PL7 tech it has to go. Also keep in mind how some of her 'enhancements' might affect others... Cykoteks have done a fine job of keeping people good n' scared of ladies or men with machines in their bodies.

I'm not sure if the 'Participants' box in Cherry's PM thread is lying to me or not, but assuming it isn't when it tells me that you haven't read it since 'Oct 23 2013 11:32 PM', please check her equipment list again when you get the chance! (Even if it is lying to me, I just took off a couple of other things that I'd forgotten were there since last year that were from the S*D: AEG, so hopefully that's everything. :) )

You may still find stuff I'm not seeing. I promise I'm trying my best to clear out the super high-tech stuff, but I'm not quite as savvy about the whole PL6 vs. PL7 thing as I'd like to be. Please continue to bear with me.

Dave said he was (officially) making a pilot, possibly just as an NPC who can stay with the ship, so if you invested in relevant skills but really wanted something else instead, you should be able to shift those points. That being said, there's nothing wrong with some overlap, so keep 'em if you want. :)

Alright, I'm going to kick this off here soon.

Now, I was going to write up this large and impressive post that all kinds of setting info on it. Even got it started too. See, the thing is, as much as I love you guys I didn't really want to write up 10 pages of background material for something we might not be doing for very long (given the life of some games combined with real life). So, here's the deal, it's safe to say we've all seen the shows and we've all seen the movie so everyone should have a decent feel for how things are. Life is tough, Verge was occupied by the Concord, life got tougher all the around for the have-nots. It's all in the synopsis for the game and I'd I'd much rather focus on how you guy are surviving in that than roll out 10 pages of shit you guys will probably forget by the time we're half way through your first caper.

The cliffs notes are simple:

The Verge is 50LY by 50LY (100LY if you fly from one end to the other). Like Star Wars, there are the Core Worlds (or systems), The Border Systems, than the Frontier (or the Outer Rim)

The Aegis system is smack dab in the middle of the Verge. It's the Concord (also called The Union) capitol. The Core Systems occupy 15LYs of territory out from the center. They have all the fancy new tech and everyone is happy and wealthy. The tech level in these parts is PL7 with some PL8

The Border Worlds occupy a span of 15LY as well, this area, for the best analogy, is like Shadowrun. It's all Concord controlled but they can't be everywhere at once that far away from the Core Worlds so what they have a lot of private security forces to protect their interests. Crime is rampant, The Union does what it can but their forces are overworked and under appreciated. As you can imagine, the 'law' is iffy in these parts but it's still very much Union controlled. Immigration and slave trade are rampant here, as you might expect. Average PL in these areas is PL6, with the Union toting the PL7 hardware.

After the Border Worlds comes the Frontier. The Frontier is 20LY in size and the Concord Military has little presence here but that doesn't read 'none at all'. Out this far in the Verge the people barely get by however they can. They live simple lives and own some of the simplest of technologies; horses (or what passes for horses), buggies or barges and when people with a ship come through it's usually a big deal. A few worlds in the Frontier have scrap yards and the like, but mostly out this far you're in for a wild west style time. The average PL in the Frontier is 5 with a side order of black market PL6 tech from time to time. There's no law in the Frontier and those of questionable moral fiber who find themselves wanting for something usually just take it.

The Frontier is also Cykotek territory. They claim a few planets out that way... might wanna be careful out that way.

The rest in the 'make it up' pool, but keep it in the theme of the game. This is Star Wars or Star Trek.

Honestly, the rest we'll work out as we go, because if this takes off, we'll do all kinds of fun work for it. If not, well, no love lost. For now, let's worry about getting it started.

Unfinished Business:

Jas shown an interest in this game, so I'll be saving her a seat. We'll write her in if she still wants to be a part of this.

Jordan, your sheet is the only one I haven't seen. You've been going on all week about all he cool things he can do... so, where is he?

Cent, I'm going to start a character sheet thread. When you post Cherry could you do me a favor and try to sum her up in one or two paragraphs. I appreciate all the work you've done and we have it for reference in the PM, but I'd prefer not to scroll for 45 seconds just to see what a particular skill is rated at. :)

Everyone - When you post a character sheet, please only post what background info people actually know about you. Some of you are hiding from something, others are running and that's fine. But a smart person doesn't go putting their business out there to a group of people they don't know from Adam. While this is Firefly themed, you guys are not quite the family they were, at least not yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright everyone, meet your doctor. I have his character sheet ready, now I'm just trying to pick out a name for him. I'll decide for sure tomorrow, and get his profile posted. But yeah.. you already wanna have sex with him. There's no denying it. Even without a name. Names are overrated.

Of course, Carver suggested Harrison Stark, to which I responded that I might as well tattoo the phrase "Jas's wet dream" on his forehead. ;)

Kai Akamu was an old character by the way, so no, that is not a contender.

• 1 month later...

Oh! Oh! Deezy wants to go on the MYSTERIOUS SPACE STATION! She is super eager to figure out how they power those heat shields and cooling systems!

And finding out won't involve turning them off, no sir! She'd never do that!

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

Archived